Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My17 ute rust from tonneau cover strap

rossimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 wagon
Hey all, gave my '17 redline ute a good clean last week.

When I removed the tonneau cover I found two rust spots starting to form on the top of the tub towards the front near the sports bar mount.

2017-09-17 11.54.54.jpg

Found the metal end on the bungee cable had corroded and left rust spots on the tub paint, I first thought the metal ends had worn through the paint and started to rust but thankfully it was just on the surface and cleaned up ok.

2017-09-17 11.55.25.jpg

The cable is secured in the pocket bit by being tied in a couple of knots, I simply just added a couple more knots to the extra length of the end and tucked it back in the pocket.

Something to watch out for incase others experience the same and before it rubs through the paint and starts causing more of an issue.

2017-09-17 12.06.11.jpg

Last edited:

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Have me worry for a second, quickly went to check my tonneau cover. It doesn't have the metal ends, look like someone cut it off and tied a knob on it, and it also has a rubber washer to stop the cable slip back. The tonneau cover is from my previous VF1 ute, I have it transferred with the ladder racks to the VF2 ute. Didn't want to pay the shop $100 per hole on the new one, so I told the dealer that they can keep the new tonneau and put it on the VF1 as trade-in.

rossimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 wagon
Yeah I'll be cutting the ends off when I'm back at my ute next. I was just a bit surprised that they are left with ~3 inches of end just hanging out. Not hard to knot them near the end or tuck the end back in the pocket.