Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My HSV Clubsport

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Now the converter guy has cut the one I bought open and apparently it's OK but gonna do sommit or other later...

Reactions: Lex

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Me and his apprentice took the gearbox out of this earlier...
Screenshot_20240509_120556_Gallery.jpg

Pig of a job compared to my Commy, but this is 4WD so not just one driveshaft to deal with...

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Me and his apprentice took the gearbox out of this earlier...
View attachment 267805

Pig of a job compared to my Commy, but this is 4WD so not just one driveshaft to deal with...
Did you slow the apprentice down by much? ;) :D :cool:

Good job!
If you didn't f#ck to much up on the disassembly?;):D:cool:
Only kidding!hahahaha

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Did you slow the apprentice down by much? ;) :D :cool:

Good job!
If you didn't f#ck to much up on the disassembly?;):D:cool:
Only kidding!hahahaha

I spent the day telling him the bolt was a 14mm when he'd come back with a 17, 16, 15, 13, and even a 12, everything but what I said it was, it was a 14. This happened all day long. I've spent too long with nuts bolts and spanners to know everything from a 7mm to a 24mm from sight and get it right EVERY TIME! Not being big headed it's just fact, I'm sure that half of you are the same. I told him the Mazda BT50 we serviced needed about 7. 5 litres of oil as the BT50 is the same engine as a Ford Ranger which I used to drive. He put 8 or 9 litres in because he done one last week and remembers...:rolleyes: Yes we dropped a litre of oil in the bin as it was way over the max on the dipstick. I taught him the lefty loosy, righty tighty line because half the time he was trying to tighten bolts we was undoing...lol. The main guy did say he's useless and tbh def in the wrong field IMO but anyways.

As I'm not used to working under cars and being able to stand up I banged me head on a few things. The last one I hit one of the arms holding the car up and has put a gash in my head that bled for an hour, just stopping now. Should've gone to the hospital for a couple of stitches but couldn't be bothered.

So the clutch in the converter I bought was farked surprise suprise. My old one is fine apart from the threads so old mate said he's gonna bring me in a re-con. This guy works for a company that solely do converters and he said the internals of my original one can be reused, prob in my re-con lol, but whatever, I don't care as long as I get a *good* one.

Here's my 2 cut in half if anyone ever wondered what they look like inside...

Screenshot_20240509_175721_Messages.jpg

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Was it fun?
Yeah I love tinkering on engines, always have done. OK admittedly mostly 2 stroke motorbikes but have rebuilt 4 cylinder 4 stroke engines too plus all the rest. When I was 15 I was filing out the exhaust port and getting my sole cylinder head smimmed to gain compression. Messing about with carby jets and reed valves all to get my 50cc 'sports moped' to beat 125s and I did. My 50cc used the same gearbox's as the 80cc version so I had a 96cc big bore kit on it. 77mph from a bike that when bought would've been restricted to 30mph. Bigger carby and aftermarket exhaust would get them to 40 or 45mph and 125s did about 70mph so I'd overtake them... Lmao, good times... :)

Even tho my car can make me scream at times with frustration, I'm still overall enjoying it and the challenges it brings... :)

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
I spent the day telling him the bolt was a 14mm when he'd come back with a 17, 16, 15, 13, and even a 12, everything but what I said it was, it was a 14. This happened all day long. I've spent too long with nuts bolts and spanners to know everything from a 7mm to a 24mm from sight and get it right EVERY TIME! Not being big headed it's just fact, I'm sure that half of you are the same. I told him the Mazda BT50 we serviced needed about 7. 5 litres of oil as the BT50 is the same engine as a Ford Ranger which I used to drive. He put 8 or 9 litres in because he done one last week and remembers...:rolleyes: Yes we dropped a litre of oil in the bin as it was way over the max on the dipstick. I taught him the lefty loosy, righty tighty line because half the time he was trying to tighten bolts we was undoing...lol. The main guy did say he's useless and tbh def in the wrong field IMO but anyways.

As I'm not used to working under cars and being able to stand up I banged me head on a few things. The last one I hit one of the arms holding the car up and has put a gash in my head that bled for an hour, just stopping now. Should've gone to the hospital for a couple of stitches but couldn't be bothered.

So the clutch in the converter I bought was farked surprise suprise. My old one is fine apart from the threads so old mate said he's gonna bring me in a re-con. This guy works for a company that solely do converters and he said the internals of my original one can be reused, prob in my re-con lol, but whatever, I don't care as long as I get a *good* one.

Here's my 2 cut in half if anyone ever wondered what they look like inside...

View attachment 267824
Hope it was a good day?

How many more days do you have do?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Yeah I love tinkering on engines, always have done. OK admittedly mostly 2 stroke motorbikes but have rebuilt 4 cylinder 4 stroke engines too plus all the rest. When I was 15 I was filing out the exhaust port and getting my sole cylinder head smimmed to gain compression. Messing about with carby jets and reed valves all to get my 50cc 'sports moped' to beat 125s and I did. My 50cc used the same gearbox's as the 80cc version so I had a 96cc big bore kit on it. 77mph from a bike that when bought would've been restricted to 30mph. Bigger carby and aftermarket exhaust would get them to 40 or 45mph and 125s did about 70mph so I'd overtake them... Lmao, good times... :)

Even tho my car can make me scream at times with frustration, I'm still overall enjoying it and the challenges it brings... :)

It sounds like things are going really well. You have ‘had a go’ at the transmission yourself and learnt heaps along the way, and now you have charmed your way in to a great deal where you are getting a torque converter in exchange for a few days work - and you’ll be learning even more along the way. How good is that!

I can’t help wondering if you might end up staying on with them? It sounds like you are a good fit, and they seem to have enough work and not enough hands to do the work.

Well done, and what a wonderful thread this has been (so far). I can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel with the transmission and torque converter issues (touch wood).

Yes! Paul is an inspiration! :)

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON

I think you've missed your calling:)

Status
Not open for further replies.