Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 engine oil recommendations

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I've always used an API SL oil Castrol Edge 5w 30 A3 B4. It was Castrol's recommended oil for all LS engines until VF with the Dexos thing.
Exactly the same oil that I use :)

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Exactly the same oil that I use :)
The Dexos thing is all about maintaining oil properties over extended oil change intervals, a concept I don't agree leaving oil unchanged for 2 years. The other thing with Castrol, is that Edge is their top shelf oil not the cheaper Magnatec with the Dexos approval.

Seems to me that Dexos is more about cost containment than optimum engine protection is the reason I stuck to the Edge products with Castrol.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
The Dexos thing is all about maintaining oil properties over extended oil change intervals, a concept I don't agree leaving oil unchanged for 2 years. The other thing with Castrol, is that Edge is their top shelf oil not the cheaper Magnatec with the Dexos approval.

Seems to me that Dexos is more about cost containment than optimum engine protection is the reason I stuck to the Edge products with Castrol.
What are your thoughts on Mobil1 oils ?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
What are your thoughts on Mobil1 oils ?
I've never used Mobil a lot as it was harder to source than Castrol for the right price in SA. In early 2017 when looking at the Dexos thing, our local Supercheap didn't sell Mobil products and they had 10 litres of Castrol Edge on special for half price!

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS

In my Ve and Vf engines i use edge but use magantec 10w40 in my Ls1's always been good.

dexos is a wank

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
dexos is a wank
Dexos is nothing more than a licence to print money. There were, and probably still oils out there that are not dexos approved yet come from the same batch that goes into the bottle with the dexos label attached, I read about it on an oil site, where they explained that they can sell the same oil cheaper because they don't add a dexos approved label on the front and therefore are not paying for that licence.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Dexos is nothing more than a licence to print money. There were, and probably still oils out there that are not dexos approved yet come from the same batch that goes into the bottle with the dexos label attached, I read about it on an oil site, where they explained that they can sell the same oil cheaper because they don't add a dexos approved label on the front and therefore are not paying for that licence.

Ive noticed most companies are starting to drop Dexo's certification here in Aus.

The US brands like Mobil and Valvoline will probably keep it given their main market being the US.

For example, from comparing Penrith Dexos GF-5 to GF-S, the products are identical, but GF-S doesn't have the certification. I think same is happening with Nulon and Castrol too.

Makes sense, zero point for the companies to pay the likely big fees to GM over a dead brand, especially with the 7 year warranties set to expire from next year on for the final MY17's