Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 camshaft on LS2

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Hey guys,

More curious than anything I guess... I've been tossing up the idea of putting a cam into my '07 V8 WM Caprice but couldn't really justify the costs involved, since they are already a pretty quick car...

Something that has caught my attention though, is swapping out the cam with either a VE GTS cam (307kw model) or LS3 Cam. Looks like these can be bought for peanuts (~$30 and ~$100). What I'm thinking is, would the stock internals be okay if I just swapped out these cams? Would this make for a cheap performance mod (since I'd do it myself) or would this just cause more problems and spend more on other parts?

Don't plan on racing the car, just want something nice to drive.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
I doubt there would be a huge difference between the two.

I'm told that cams for the holden V8's can be bought cheaper from the US, so if you're going to have the hassle of installing a cam, it might as well be a good one.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
I was trying to avoid having to then strengthen the auto, diff and get a new converter (it's an auto). I figured if I can bring the car up to HSV level that should be alright for stock gear. Thanks for the input though!

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Bugger all difference between the two. I think you would see more gain from a set of 1.8 ratio rockers. And you will find that most of the power difference between holden and HSV's are in the tune not internal upgrades.

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
I thought it was the labour that makes a cam swap expensive not the cam itself

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
The only difference between those cams is the lift - LS3 has slightly higher, swap it to something decent and you can use a aftermarket cam without a converter just don't go too big with intake/exhaust duration

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon