Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking at VS ute, What to look for?

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
So I've decided to get a 5L VS ute, Have seen a couple of nice ones online for sale.
But before jumping on the first one I look at I was just wondering what the differences between series 1,2 and 3 are?
Are there any common issues to look out for aswel?

Cheers
Jarrod

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
I can't say I've had much experience with the 5 litre engine myself as mine is only a 3.8, but that being said I went through a lot of VS utes whilst looking for mine.
Thing's to basically look out for I found where, if going manual, check the clutch isn't on the way out as you'll find a lot of manual VS utes have had a hard life. If the ute has the getrag gear box a bit of sloppiness is expected, but if you think it is too far gone then beware.
Also, check for diff wear and noise as that's a problem that arose with my VS ute down the line which wasn't cheap.
I have also found looking through this site and experience that a lot of people have trouble with overheating in the VS range, so thoroughly check the cooling system.
Other then that mate, just give the cars a thorough look over as you would any other car, ask the owener bucket loads of questions and never hand over money before you've driven it and you're 100% certain.

TechRecruit

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
*Suspence*
I have never had a VS ute in my life but from experience with tagging along with mates I have found this:

- If ute contains a Getrag gearbox it's going to be a much laggier car. Also, they tend to be on thier last legs. It's best to install your own aftermarket one!
- overheating! Common bitch of a problem so make sure a thorough check of the cooling system is conducted!

That's all I know!

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
So I've decided to get a 5L VS ute, Have seen a couple of nice ones online for sale.
But before jumping on the first one I look at I was just wondering what the differences between series 1,2 and 3 are?
Are there any common issues to look out for aswel?

Cheers
Jarrod

I think the only real differences are the later series 3 utes got a lot of VT parts like brakes, gear boxes, V8 roller motors, paint choices and a limited edition VS IIII SS model. Other than that the V8 utes didn't really change from The '93 VR V8 utes up to 2000 VSIII V8 utes, I'd just steer clear of any of the utes that have ruff bodies and high klm's as they've probably been work horses that were flog till they were to expensive to repair.

TechRecruit

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
*Suspence*
Yeah, I forgot to mention. Steer clear of anything that's not in god nick. Most likely to be used by a tradie and flogged to no end. If your going to pick one up make sure it is in pristine condition!

Search up scvs6 on the forums. He is selling a really mint VS SS S3 ute for 9k. There were only 300 of them made.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Had the series 2 and 3 ss utes and there isn't really much difference between them. Had zero issues with either when it came to the motor or gearbox except usual wear and tear that comes from any car that age.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Had the series 2 and 3 ss utes and there isn't really much difference between them. Had zero issues with either when it came to the motor or gearbox except usual wear and tear that comes from any car that age.

What a female aloud to drive a ute, surely you must be kidding! Lol

TechRecruit

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
*Suspence*
What a female aloud to drive a ute, surely you must be kidding! Lol

I thought I had surely mis-read the post, but obviously not as you have picked it up aswell!

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
2000 vs v8 holden ute | eBay

This one is only a short drive from me.
Looks pretty tidy with good Kms on it.
Just wondering if its had a fair bit of a thrashing considering the mods on it.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
2000 vs v8 holden ute | eBay

This one is only a short drive from me.
Looks pretty tidy with good Kms on it.
Just wondering if its had a fair bit of a thrashing considering the mods on it.

Motor conversion already done so thats a big plus for some. Good on the kms too. Coming from Toowoomba though and considering the mods I'd say its been thrashed most likely.