Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Left speaker not as loud as right speaker

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just curious, what was done with the center dash speaker during your upgrade? Was it replaced, left in, chucked in the bin?
If by chance it's still there rip it out and chuck it away.
I disconnected it but I did that a few months before the upgrade.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'll have a look at the cente speaker again this week. I may have just pulled one plug to stop it working. But I can't remember.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Just a tip from an old electronics hand, and somewhat depending upon your multimeter, usually the low-ohm range would provide a reasonable bit of current (10s if mA). So, when connected to a speaker (briefly) you could hear a crackle or a pop from the speaker. This provides a very rough and ready way of checking a speaker. Disconnect the wires from the amplifier and repeatedly touch the multimeter on to the speaker a get an idea of how loud the crackle is. Then, do the same in the other speaker and you’ll soon work out if the speaker is okay or not. If the multimeter doesn’t produce any crackle at all on a good speaker, use a 1.5V battery instead (but only briefly touch it on the speaker terminals). A battery most definitely should cause the speaker to crackle or pop.

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
What would happen if I tried switching the positive and negative speaker wires around? Just on the problem speaker.

I remember reading something a year or two ago about VE's how they use a single ground for all the speakers. I don't remember what it was all about I wonder if this is the issue?
Can’t hurt to try, if unsure about polarity of speakers you can just connect a AA battery to the wires and check if the cone moves in or out. Won’t hurt anything.
If the volts vary as much as you say from left to right channel I’d guess your amp is smoked. The voltage supplied to speakers won’t actually vary much with volume, pretty sure higher volts is to prevent interference. It’s been common for a while now for RCA’s to even supply 5v to amps

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Greenac might be onto something with the centre speaker. I can't remember but it would make sense that I only pulled one plug. I remember I just wanted to stop it working at the time.

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Just a tip from an old electronics hand, and somewhat depending upon your multimeter, usually the low-ohm range would provide a reasonable bit of current (10s if mA). So, when connected to a speaker (briefly) you could hear a crackle or a pop from the speaker. This provides a very rough and ready way of checking a speaker. Disconnect the wires from the amplifier and repeatedly touch the multimeter on to the speaker a get an idea of how loud the crackle is. Then, do the same in the other speaker and you’ll soon work out if the speaker is okay or not. If the multimeter doesn’t produce any crackle at all on a good speaker, use a 1.5V battery instead (but only briefly touch it on the speaker terminals). A battery most definitely should cause the speaker to crackle or pop.
Beat me but I’m glad someone with experience has more to add

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Can’t hurt to try, if unsure about polarity of speakers you can just connect a AA battery to the wires and check if the cone moves in or out. Won’t hurt anything.
If the volts vary as much as you say from left to right channel I’d guess your amp is smoked. The voltage supplied to speakers won’t actually vary much with volume, pretty sure higher volts is to prevent interference. It’s been common for a while now for RCA’s to even supply 5v to amps
I would have thought the channel would be faulty if this was the case.