Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lachlan's 1986 VL Calais auto

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
well its a little bit different to most vl's going round but its the way i like it.

Alpine white over asteroid silver freshly painted, sitting on highly poilshed whitewalled calais alloys, colour coded sunvisor, polished chrome strips all round, lowered just a touch (probably sl's), venetians in the rear and sides, chrome tow ball, turboed with a hidden black intercooler sitting behind a little chrome nudge bar (if i can ever source one) and me sitting in the drivers seat to top it all off.

There is alot of little touches i want on the inside too, but thats the image.

Imagine away!

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
and a couple of pictures of it in the shed where i get to work on it.

The blue convertible is my cousins 68 MGB. Awesome car to drive in, i drove it back from Wollongong with his, so much fun!

IMAG0205.jpg

IMAG0206.jpg

IMAG0207.jpg

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
yeah do a stealth cooler.... i can powder coat it black for u.. unless u wanna spray paint it.. i have done a few coolers..

i got a small cooler here which came with my piping but i put in a 600 instead u may b of interest

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
yeah mate for sure. i wasnt going to run a cooler at all, but a small one hidden would be good. powder coated would be awesome.

I will begin removing the gearbox and engine on thursday, super keen to start on it all.

My mate is droping around tomorrow in his new imported 82 RX7 with a 13B rotary. Cant wait to see it :) Holidays coming soon too, so im preparing the workshed for it all

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Well spent a few hours removing everything. Here is where it is at at the moment..

I like to take pictures.

DSCN0199.jpg

DSCN0185.jpg

Radiator out...Yes that is a fossilised dragon fly in there

DSCN0200.jpg

DSCN0187.jpg

DSCN0183.jpg

DSCN0184.jpg

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
I dunno haha. What colour is a usual torque converter? I just bought it from the wreckers inside the box. Any easy way to check whether it is a stally or not ?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
went for a trip out to the wreckers today

Got some new injector plugs with the little metal clips intact

and some of these:
IMAG0220.jpg

King Spring Lows. Just what I was after, don't want to go too low and want to keep it legal. Just need to get the front now
Also made a bit more progress on getting the engine out.
Tailshaft out and riping more stuff out of the bay.

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
well havent updated in a while but have made some progress

Took the front bumpers off cos they were broken and cracked all over and found out that a few pieces of wire was all that was holding the front left piece on as the plastic had broken away
DSCN0209.jpg

DSCN0211.jpg

Also installed a new indicator arm. Was a hassle simply due to the steering wheel not wanting to come off easily
DSCN0207.jpg

And managed to get the engine and box out. Never thought I would manage it by myself but was easier than I thought.
DSCN0212.jpg

DSCN0213.jpg

DSCN0214.jpg

DSCN0217.jpg

Also. If you remember a while back I had issues with the car running on 5 cyinders and they found low compression in 3/4 cylinders. This is the exhaust gasket and it clearly shows the 6th exhaust outlet has alot more carbn build up. Could this be a cause for low compression in the cylinder perhaps?

DSCN0202.jpg