Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L98 overheat, no compression

LUC1F3R

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 ve calais v l98 auto
Hey All,
I've got a 2006 ve calais v L98 auto on duel fuel (injected gas, works really well)
Story is I hit a roo on the way to work, insurance covered the repair (a little over 6k in panel and paint) got it back and after 20 mins of driving, engine light came on and engine stopped before I could even pull over. Tried to start it, engine spins freely but sounded like no compression. Mechanics have wrote it off now and are paying out $10700 to me and have said I can buy it back for $5000. Mechanics confirmed there is no compression in any cylinder. My research says possibly head gaskets or warped heads, new heads $1400 and a mate wants to help me do it all for nothing. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on this and if it's worth it?
Cheapest new engine i can find is $8500
Thanks in advance legends.
Lucas

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Only you can determine whether you want to do the engine work to continue on with the car.

Personally I think you might find it's more than a head related issue....Good chance you have fried some rings, which then puts it down to another engine/complete engine rebuild

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
sounds more like an insurance issue, have you contacted them to tell them what's happened? seems a bit sus that 20min after you get it back the engine cooks its self.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
sounds more like an insurance issue, have you contacted them to tell them what's happened? seems a bit sus that 20min after you get it back the engine cooks its self.

Reading the post, the insurance company does know and offered a payout figure, with a buy back figure....

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
Reading the post, the insurance company does know and offered a payout figure, with a buy back figure....
he said his mechanics have written it off not the insurance company

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
he said his mechanics have written it off not the insurance company

Mechanics don't give payout and buy back figures....Insurance companies do.....So I think it's a case of actually reading between the lines of what has been posted

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
If it’s got zero compression on all cylinders then it’s unlikely to be the cylinder heads as it’s highly unlikely all cylinders would be affected. Surely only one head would fail and one head would be good.

Was the oil drained out of it when the repairs were done and not replaced? If your oil pressure sensor wasnt working you wouldn’t have known there was no oil in it.

LUC1F3R

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 ve calais v l98 auto
Yeah sorry, insurance are paying me out and said I can buy it back for $5000

They only repaired the panels and paint, the oil wasn't touched and is still at a good level, couldn't see any milkshake either.

Thanks heaps for the feedback, just trying to decide whether to try and fix it or not, they are already worth a fair bit more than a year ago and I do love the car but don't want it to turn into a money pit.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Buying another engine might be the cheapest option if you want to buy the car back....

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
engines dont just loose compression all of a sudden, if it overheated u would have got warnings, even an engine with no rings should still fire just wont run well, how does it feel turning over by hand ?