Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I think it was in this thread that we were talking about the social media companies following national laws and some said it was impossible to enforce.

[/URL]

Yea that is the only power governments have, to ban an app altogether, stopping the company from doing what they do without a total black ban is impossible.
But try and ban Meta, X, Tictac ect in a democratic country and it would be a political death sentence, it sort of helps when you're the ruler of an authoritarian country.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
But it shows it can be done, it's the political will to force the point.

Nothing is impossible, improbable maybe but not impossible.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
But it shows it can be done, it's the political will to force the point.

Nothing is impossible, improbable maybe but not impossible.

So you would endorse an authoritarian government to reign in capitalist tech companies, okay.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
So you would endorse an authoritarian government to reign in capitalist tech companies, okay.

Why not, those companies are a law unto themselves.

Certain companies need to be broken up, they are too powerful, to much control.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
And so it begins, real cuts in the NZ health sector where forced cuts (to pay for tax cuts) is going to adversely effect the health system.

• Sad
Reactions: Lex

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Any builder not willing to have their work - which is being paid for by the owner - not subjected to scrutiny by the owner or an independent agent employed by the owner is questionable in itself.

Having work checked and having somebody looking over ones shoulder videoing every move are very different things. I had occasion just this week where I flat out refused a clients request for a site tour as the site simply wasn't safe for them to attend. Further, I also restricted trades people to the bare minimum as well to reduce the chances of an accident. It had nothing to do with hiding anything.

I can only guess that the contracts you are referring to a ‘Master Builders’ or some other industry group ‘standard’ contracts? A solicitor will be able to draft up a suitable contract feather than using a one-sided industry template contract.

Master builders, HIA are the most common which both have it. As a builder my clients have an option, accept my contract or get somebody else to build their house. simples. Ps - both of the afore mentioned contracts are anything but one sided. I

I read @Reaper comments as being, you can go onsite with an appointment with the builder....

Going on site just at will causes many safety issues...And that's one thing a builder doesn't need....Some random hurting themselves by turning up unannounced and walking round like it's a shopping mall

Oh and it is common practice for the owner of a property being built, to inspect the build at various stages, with various tradesman being present to inspect the work currently being done, before agreeing for further work to commence....Not to mention, agreeing for more money to be released by the financial institution to continue on with the build.....It's generally put into contracts too

Mostly correct - I have never seen any contract that requires client approval to move to the next stage. Every contract I have seen has provision for client (and their representative) and/or lender representatives access at various stages by agreement.

Why don’t you have a go at rereading anything with ‘woke’ in it, but substitute ‘woke’ with ‘alert to racial prejudice and discrimination’ and see if you really want to repost/believe/agree before reposting/agreeing/believing.

Why would you want to be ‘anti-woke’? Being anti-woke is like wanting to be a bigot - you can be if you want, but I wouldn’t be proud of it at all. Hell, you might like to cover you face the same way as a KKK member.

That analogy is just plain illogical and stupid. One may be an anti-woke bigot but they are a big step apart and by no means a direct correlation. I am aware of the racial origins of the term and these days it's a whole lot more than that. You may say I am anti-woke, particularly in it's current guise but I assure you, I'm far from bigoted. For example, I have many friends with different political (and other) outlooks to me. I'm fine about that and remain firm friends regardless of how wrong they may be ;)

When people start bandying about the word "woke" it's normally followed by propaganda, bigotry and bias so typically not worth reading further.

As above - sometimes maybe. Usually, normally or whatever other 'get out of jail' term you may want to attach to it is just wrong.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Having work checked and having somebody looking over ones shoulder videoing every move are very different things. I had occasion just this week where I flat out refused a clients request for a site tour as the site simply wasn't safe for them to attend. Further, I also restricted trades people to the bare minimum as well to reduce the chances of an accident. It had nothing to do with hiding anything.

Master builders, HIA are the most common which both have it. As a builder my clients have an option, accept my contract or get somebody else to build their house. simples. Ps - both of the afore mentioned contracts are anything but one sided. I

Mostly correct - I have never seen any contract that requires client approval to move to the next stage. Every contract I have seen has provision for client (and their representative) and/or lender representatives access at various stages by agreement.

That analogy is just plain illogical and stupid. One may be an anti-woke bigot but they are a big step apart and by no means a direct correlation. I am aware of the racial origins of the term and these days it's a whole lot more than that. You may say I am anti-woke, particularly in it's current guise but I assure you, I'm far from bigoted. For example, I have many friends with different political (and other) outlooks to me. I'm fine about that and remain firm friends regardless of how wrong they may be ;)

As above - sometimes maybe. Usually, normally or whatever other 'get out of jail' term you may want to attach to it is just wrong.

Master Builders, HIA, Real Estate Institute, etc. are all industry bodies paid by the industry to look after the interests of the industry. Their pro forma contracts are going to favour the builder over the client.

You can rightly agree or not to agree to a contract, as can the client. But I would strongly encourage anyone getting a house built to run any contact (industry or otherwise) past their own lawyer before signing.

https://kerinbensonlawyers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/WhichContract2015.pdf

And I’m pleased that the ‘woke’ discussion has awoken something in you. :)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Master Builders, HIA, Real Estate Institute, etc. are all industry bodies paid by the industry to look after the interests of the industry. Their pro forma contracts are going to favour the builder over the client.

I haven't read all the contracts there but strongly disagree with their characterization of the HIA/MBA contracts. Of course there is no backing away that both of those are industry bodies.

You can rightly agree or not to agree to a contract, as can the client. But I would strongly encourage anyone getting a house built to run any contact (industry or otherwise) past their own lawyer before signing.

Yep - nobody should sign any contract (building or otherwise) that they don't fully understand or agree to abide by it's terms (liking the terms is a different thing entirely)

And I’m pleased that the ‘woke’ discussion has awoken something in you. :)

nfi what you are on about there but I'm glad you are happy.