Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intermittent starting issues and svs warning

Jarrad2022

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz lumina
Hi- i have a 2005 vz lumina.

I am having trouble at the moment with intermittent starting issues and the SVS warning. The last few weeks when i go to start my car, sometimes it starts first go, other times it just turns over and cranks, but wont start. I have to turn the ignition off between 1-3 times and try to restart my car each time, before it eventually will start. It comes accompanied with the Service Vehicle Soon warning, which generally the svs warning will only show when turning ignition on, and i (only occasionally, mostly on the first start attempt) lose power and the car wont crank, which once i turn the ignition off and back on, it then has power and cranks once again- it may or may not start after thst and sometimes i have to continue the ignition on and off process a few times to start. Recently i have replaced spark plugs, coils, fuel pump, and had a full service.

Im at a complete loss as to what it could be, and i am sick of spending money on things thats not fixing the issue.

As i said, sometimes it cranks and stsrts, sometimes doesnt. When it doesnt start i get the svs warning, which goes away once the car has finally started. Any help would be great!

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I had the same /almost similar problem with my VZ for about 7 years on and off.
For a long time I believed it was the remote but eventually after playing with different remotes
I fitted a new starter and no more problems.

FWIW the starter is a high torque, came from ebay, cost $69 but of course that was about 8 +years ago.
If you have the tools it takes about 30-45 minutes to change over the first time working over the guard, no need to get under the car.
All you really need is a small socket set and a couple of small ring spanners, can't remember what size, and a torque drive to remove the nuts on the ali cover plates (one over the exhaust and one over the starter)
For the torque bolts holding the starter just use a ring or socket,works for me.
The old starter was chock full of carbon from the brushes.

At some stage I also redid all the earth points on the car but did not notice any change from that exercise.

Last edited:

Jarrad2022

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz lumina
I had the same /almost similar problem with my VZ for about 7 years on and off.
For a long time I believed it was the remote but eventually after playing with different remotes
I fitted a new starter and no more problems.

FWIW the starter is a high torque, came from ebay, cost $69 but of course that was about 8 +years ago.
If you have the tools it takes about 30-45 minutes to change over the first time working over the guard, no need to get under the car.
All you really need is a small socket set and a couple of small ring spanners, can't remember what size, and a torque drive to remove the nuts on the ali cover plates (one over the exhaust and one over the starter)
For the torque bolts holding the starter just use a ring or socket,works for me.
The old starter was chock full of carbon from the brushes.

At some stage I also redid all the earth points on the car but did not notice any change from that exercise.
Thank you. I think I’m also going to do the fuel filter first, to rule that out. The fuel filter is pretty old now anyway, that could be clogged. I don’t really know anything about cars so I don’t really know what direction to go. I think I’ll do the fuel filter and if that doesn’t work I think starter motor will be the way to go.

Jarrad2022

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz lumina
Could a clogged fuel filter cause the SVS warning?