Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

iChris' VR Statesman

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Good to hear it will be treated nicely. Said somewhere before I saw my old car with three chromies and a stockie on it the other month.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I would keep it myself if it was to become just another daily because I can easily afford 2 cars. It will turn out good because it's so clean too.

Last edited:

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
a little update. I've decided to keep the VR. I couldn't bring myself to part with it, that and the brother couldn't afford it.

right now she's bunking in the shed with a XR6T falcon. when the wheels get swapped she will be coming home and starting her new life as my work car. it's everything I'm after in a work car, it's big and comfy and has so much more life left in it too. the big wheels just aren't practical as a work hack but the suspension will be staying as it is. I'll be pulling out the subs and amps and probably replace the subs with a cheap single one, as with the amp for the speakers. the dual comps will be going into the WK.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
as you all may be aware, I've decided to keep the VR as my work hack so a few little bits will be changing with her to make it a little more practical. I can easily afford 2 cars and from using the WK as a work car for the last few weeks while the VR was out at the brother's place, it's just not practical having a V8 as a daily considering that I've been shifted about to different locations over the last month, some of them more of a commute than where I'm based normally for work. I've also realised that I've missed driving the VR. the fact that it's got lighter steering than the WK means it takes less effort to drive.

she's now rolling on the WK statesman stock rims. smaller rims with slightly lowered suspension obviously means it sits far lower than it did before on the 19's. I am not planing on restoring her to factory height.

null_zps9a6144fa.jpg

I also removed the DVD deck I had in there and replaced it with the pioneer deck I had in there before. having a DVD deck in a work car was a waste. I will also be removing the dual kicker comps and amps and using them in the WK. I'll just replace the subs with a cheap sub/amp combo and a cheap amp for the speakers as I do like my music. I'd rather just get another amp as all the wiring is there in the boot for the speakers. it's much simpler than re running speaker wire to run speakers from the deck. also got to fix the ciggy lighter.

null_zps8b207109.jpg

other than that, she's going to be getting maintained and staying clean, tidy and respectable looking and going to be used as a daily driver. it's getting to the point in it's life where things are going to start failing (it's approaching 180,000) so I've got to be prepared for that but it has so much life left in it so I'm willing to spend what I need to maintain it and keep it as reliable as it has been. it's never left me completely stranded, I've only had a leaky radiator and a failed alternator so all things considered I've had a very good run and I'm willing to keep maintaining it as meticulously as I have been over the past few years that I have owned it.

the transmission was serviced with the last engine service (5k ago) but around the left rocker cover gasket is starting to get a little messy so they need to be done and I'll also have to think about doing the water pump soon, leads/plugs and probably replace the injectors as there is no record of the injectors being done.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
That height looks pretty good.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah it looks good the way it sits now on the pedders suspension. it's low but not too low and is still smooth. it's almost as smooth as the WK, but the suspension in the wk is far more softer. it's also not parked on flat ground in that picture.

it needs a good wash and clean too so I'll be doing that later on in the week.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
gave the VR a wash and clean again today now that the weather has cleared up. also took it for a good drive. I do kinda miss just getting into it and driving it for the sake of driving so I did just that this afternoon. it was nice, kinda like catching up with a old friend that you haven't seen in a while. I'm glad I kept it.

I deleted the sheepskin seat covers now that it's warming up, I don't really need them as I get changed into my whites at work before a shift anyway I'll need to steam clean the seats too. also finally got around to fixing the lighter socket.

it needs a few little bits done to it maintenance wise. it needs the handbrake adjusted and new rocker cover gaskets on the left side. I also think the thermostat is dodgy, it's heating up to 1/2 to 3/4, drops back to 1/4 then bounces back up to half. then after 30 minutes of driving or so it drops right back to under a quarter on the temp gauge. the VR has always ran cool but never that low. the cooling system was flushed 4k ago at the last service and new coolant put in. it got a new radiator 15k ago too. just seems kinda strange seeing as from what everyone says about the VR/VS's, it's "normal" that they run a little hotter. so any ideas or suggestions on that one would be appreciated.

7EF6DC95-1965-467A-B957-10F3E80C4DAC_zpsygfd6ck6.jpg

DBE1D27D-6661-4644-BE29-4B2BE53B3A22_zpsukzesmbe.jpg

fc7c3806-d9e7-4f43-be10-ac98ed688d4c_zps1c8b3cd8.jpg