Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hyundai Santa Cruz.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The Hyundai Santa Cruz ute is getting reviews in the US, being a bit of a novelty ‘small’ pick-up that does not fit ‘ginormous’ style of Chevs and Fords there.

Compared to a VE Commodore ute, or VZ Crwman, it is not that small.

Length is 300mm shorter than a Crewman, 100mm less to a VE ute.
Wheelbase 200mm shorter than a Crewman, and identical to a VE.
Height is 150mm > 200mm higher than Commodore.
Engine is missing either 2 or 4 cylinders.

On road cost ranges from US$25K to $50K depending model specs, ( FWD v AWD, aspirated v Turbo, and auto v dual clutch box) which could be about 25% extra $AUD.
I could be tempted to an AWD, aspirated, torque converter version to replace the Crewman, maybe, perhaps, at the right price, if it was to be a ex-factory import here. :rolleyes:

Now, before it is dismissed as not being a (extinct) Commodore/Falcon, and that ‘everybody’ wants a soot blowing 4WD dual cab these days ............... what are members thoughts about a RHD Santa Cruz.
Could it be a replacement to what we are missing in the ute market ?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
How small is the tray ?

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
it looks about the same as my dual cab Hilux it would probably do the same work, the tray on the dual cab lux is useless compared to what my ole tonner would carry if I needed to carry alot of stuff the hilux would be useless as I seam to do a lot of pumps in the back paddock the 4wd is nice the ole 2 wheel ute wouldn't like a lot of places I go. We aren't getting it does it have a real 4wd system or is it awd? A dirty ole work ute now costs a lot of money in 91 I brought and roadworthy-ed a hj ute on a 1st year apprentices pay.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
This thread needs pics.

Looks like a short bed dual cab, but with a lower ride height. Seems OK, but not a 1:1 replacement for a ford/holden ute
I do like Hyundai's recent styling, neat without being a mess of angles.

wiibtculfpgyacfnefz3

snbzjrv5xjnqo47n2ydb

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
^^^ ... basically a SUV with the back of the roof and windows gone.

The attraction for me is that I carry stuff when travelling to Dead Dingo Creek that I don't want floating around in the back of the Territory.
My only gripe with the Cross6 is the size of the wheels, 245/55x18s tyres would be OK.

I have a negative thing about current ladder frame, turbo'd soot blowing, 4wd utes.
A Colorado/Ranger sized, petrol 6 or V8 dual cab with disc brakes all round, and comfortable front seats at less than $45K new, please ... somebody.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
This is the ute that Holden should have made. Well done Hyundai!!!

I think this concept is a bit of a shock/yet interesting for Americans. Just as our utes always have been.

I’d buy one. A successor for the Crewman! All the storage and access ideas Holden should have done long ago.

* Of note: That tailgate and it’s lights. Maloo inspired all the way.