Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV Tuning and Bi-Modal

PrussianSteelR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Gen-F R8
Hi everyone,
I just recently purchased a Gen-F R8 340 and would like to have it tuned to awaken it a little more. I would still like to utilise the Bi Modal exhaust - is possible to retain that after a tune? I was also wondering if there's a way to make it louder in Sport/Performance mode only?
Thank you

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Hi everyone,
I just recently purchased a Gen-F R8 340 and would like to have it tuned to awaken it a little more. I would still like to utilise the Bi Modal exhaust - is possible to retain that after a tune? I was also wondering if there's a way to make it louder in Sport/Performance mode only?
Thank you
Yes, a tune would wake it up a bit even without modification. Bimodal will stay. No issue there. You can not make it louder unless you modify exhaust in some way

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Yes, a tune would wake it up a bit even without modification. Bimodal will stay. No issue there. You can not make it louder unless you modify exhaust in some way
You can change the RPM the thing works at if that's what you mean by louder, but as @Ron Burgundy says no other way to make it louder than it currently is than to change when it's open without modifying exhaust.

Last edited:

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
You can change the RPM the thing works at if that's what you mean by louder,
I believe the ls3 hsv's had vacuum bimodals, not electronic. So i dont think you can.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I believe the ls3 hsv's had vacuum bimodals, not electronic. So i dont think you can.
Ah yes good catch. Should've said only if it has electric bimodals!

PrussianSteelR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Gen-F R8
Thanks guys. I think for now I'll start with a tune.

Any tips for the best tuners in SA for these?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yes, Gen F1 has vacuum bimodals with no adjustment I'm aware of. Gen F2 are electronic and adjustable in HP Tuners like VF2.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Hi everyone,
Thank you
If you have the stock 340 headers and cats and speaking with legally responsible advice for "off road use only", get a pipe welded through the cats prior to tuning. The cats are massively restrictive and makes the HSV exhaust quite a bit louder without them.

High flow cats are illegal in SA and are likewise for "off road use only".

PrussianSteelR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Gen-F R8
If you have the stock 340 headers and cats and speaking with legally responsible advice for "off road use only", get a pipe welded through the cats prior to tuning. The cats are massively restrictive and makes the HSV exhaust quite a bit louder without them.

High flow cats are illegal in SA and are likewise for "off road use only".
Thanks for the suggestion.

Would this make it quite a bit louder as well in Touring mode? I assume it would be across the board.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Thanks for the suggestion.

Would this make it quite a bit louder as well in Touring mode? I assume it would be across the board.
It's only louder in touring mode when the bimodal valves open over 3000rpm.