Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How good is the standard computer/memcal??

NVS 90

140rwkw N/A V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Belina (1990)
hey all,

I have just Stroked my VN V6, i am just wondering when i go to tune it, will the standard computer/memcal be good enough to get the most out of the tune.

also who would be the best around "Brisbane" for tuning.

thanks everyone.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Well, surprisingly, the standard delco ECU's and chips are quite good when it comes to re-programming. You would most likely get the MOST out of your stroked engine with an aftermarket computer, but if you don't wish to spend alot of cash on one, the standard comps are quite good for re tuning. You can play around with them a bit. For more info you would be best to talk to greenfoam or doctor bob.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
Alot of people from Queensland recommend ChipTorque for tuning.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
funnily enough, the standard delco actually has more tuning fuctions then many aftermarket ecu's. i don't really think that there would much to gain from changing to an aftermarket ecu and infact there are members on this site that have had other ecu's on there engines and have gone back to the delco cause it ran better and got more power. and then there is the fact that it's not legal to change the ecu for epa reasons i believe and you can get defected for it

PREDATR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 355 Turbo, VN Calais 5L, VE SII SV6 Wag, Mirage
I'd stick with the stock Delco. tunability with a good tuner is awesome!

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
I run a E6 HALTECH ENGINE FUEL / IGNITION COMPUTER FOR MY VN SS 355 STROKER

E6X Fuel & Ignition Computer

The HALTECH E6X is a powerful "real-time" programmable fuel injection and ignition system computer designed to control most ignition type engines. Whether 1-6, 8, 10 or 12 cylinders, 1-2 rotors, naturally aspirated, turbocharged or supercharged, the HALTECH E6X can control it.

The E6X System optimises engine performance through the following capabilities:
Ignition timing control
Fuel control
Idle speed control
Closed loop
The E6X is much more than a programmable fuel injection computer - it provides logging of engine data and allows access in real time to maximise performance and trouble-shoot problems in a vehicle while running.

Typical Applications:
Control of fuel injection on modified engines
Conversion from carburetion to fuel injection
Race and rally applications of all description
Design and development purposes
Educational use by universities and technical colleges
Original equipment in cars and motorcycles.
The patented HALTECH system of programming virtually eliminates the input of numbers. You simply manipulate bar graphs by pressing arrows keys on the attached PC running Haltech Programming software. Manipulating the bars allows you to increase or decrease the amount of fuel delivered or ignition advance at that particular RPM and load point. The process is repeated for all load points in each rpm range.
Ignition timing is precisely mapped through the RPM range so that the exact timing required to obtain optimum performance is applied in every RPM and load range.

Special Additional features of this ecu:

Boost Control Solenoid
Dual Hall Effect Sensor
Ignition Coils
Ignition Module
Shift Light
Trim Module

Haltech Engine Management Systems INFO.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah keep the delco, in the end you will get put pff the road with a aftermarket computer, they really crack down on things like that these days especialy if you go for a drive to South Australia where the police are on some crazed mission to put cars off the road lately. Queensland probably wont matter much though, they let you have blowers up there no questions asked! odd place :). But why spend money on something that does the same thing or not as much as what you allready have

NVS 90

140rwkw N/A V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Belina (1990)
yeh thank heaps for the info guy.
i have been reading that the Formula Holden motors make 340hp+ N/A and they run the standard delco as well.

thanks again all

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
correct, and on a crap tune. they build those things to suit the tune, not tune it to suit the motor