Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how do you clean a petrol tank?

Taranaki

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais
I got a Commodore fuel tank from wreckers. I fitted a new fuel pump and filters when I installed it. After a month or so, it began losing power and eventually wouldn't start (did not hear the pump priming).
So I removed tank. I found the filter bag was clogged, and there was a fine dusty coating (like clay) on the sender and pump. I got a bucket of hot water with detergent in it and sloshed this inside the
tank and drained it. Then I poured in a litre of methylated spirits and sloshed that around to get rid of the water. Neither seemed dirty when I drained them out.
So I replaced the pump and filters. I filled it with new petrol. Was okay for about six months, then lost power again. So I removed the tank again. Still that clay coating on everything! I shone a torch inside the tank and it looks brownish. I expected it would be silvery grey like the outside of the tank.
Can I clean this tank, or should I take pot luck with another tank from wreckers?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Muriatic Acid mixed with water.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
not sure what the acid would do to the epoxy coating on the inside of the tank, if the coating gets dissolved your going to have leaks everywhere... (im asuming the tank is coated). how cheap a standard 60 litre vn vp tank would be it might just be easier to have a whorl with another second hand tank. who knows what someone did to the one you got...

go to the wreckers and get a tank off a car that has alot of stuff missing, maybe a straight body. the better condition it looked the more people took off it and youll have a better chance at a good condition tank. (thats how i do it anyway)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Pressure cleaner.

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
Chuck in some blue metal gravel and swirl it around then rinse as you did before.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Be much more picky on what you get from the wreckers, look inside before you hand over cash. Sounds like it's got a nice layer of rust going on inside.... I left a car sitting for a couple of years with bugger all fuel in it, by the time i started using it again with the combination of stale fuel that had destroyed the fuel pump and rust inside it was easier to simply replace than bugger around trying to get it serviceable again.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Pressure cleaner.

umm no!
Need to get rid of contaminents not create more

send it off to a shop that rebuilds engines and ask for it to be dipped in the acid bath over night....

kilebantick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VN Calais 1989
Go to wherever you get fuel from and fill a 5l container. Take it home and pour it into a bucket and see whether or not it's filled with ****...

Local petrol supplier in my old town destroyed a ton of cars....

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Go to wherever you get fuel from and fill a 5l container. Take it home and pour it into a bucket and see whether or not it's filled with ****...

Local petrol supplier in my old town destroyed a ton of cars....

Buy it from somewhere that doesn't look like it's been there since they discovered oil..... and buy it from a franchise chain supplier.....
The average car weighs more than a tonne... so they destroyed 1 car? or perhaps 2 kia/hyundai/daewoos? if it's the latter then it's no great loss