Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Horn stopped working

mikeross85

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 VF Series II Auto MY15
My horn on my Commodore SV6 VF Series II Auto MY15 has stopped working I checked the fuse and replaced it but that hasn't fixed the issue. When you press the horn you can hear a clicking noise coming from the engine fuse box. Any ideas on how i can fix this or is it a take it into the garage job? I had a look to see if i could locate the horn but can't find it to check those connections.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The clicking sound could well be the horn relay working.

Step one. Access the horn. Unplug it. Use a test light to confirm the circuit is being activated when the horn is pressed.
If there is power at the connector when the horn is pressed, the horn itself will likely be stuffed.

I would also find the relay responsible for the horn and swap it with a known good relay. The relay might be stuffed.

Failing that, the clicking noise could be coincidental and unrelated to the fault.

The next suss place would be the clock spring.

mikeross85

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 VF Series II Auto MY15
The clicking sound could well be the horn relay working.

Step one. Access the horn. Unplug it. Use a test light to confirm the circuit is being activated when the horn is pressed.
If there is power at the connector when the horn is pressed, the horn itself will likely be stuffed.

I would also find the relay responsible for the horn and swap it with a known good relay. The relay might be stuffed.

Failing that, the clicking noise could be coincidental and unrelated to the fault.

The next suss place would be the clock spring.
Thanks Fu. Do you know where the horn is located and how to access it?

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
Thanks Fu. Do you know where the horn is located and how to access it?
the horns mounted on the front end module i I can't remember how accessible it is with the bumper fitted....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The earlier VF’s had two single tone horns, each with a different frequency, one near each headlight behind the front bupper. The later VF’s only got one single tone horn that is near the right headlamp behind the bumper. Note sure whether the change was a clear VF-I to VF-II delineation.

Sometimes a whack gets the horn working again but not always. Horns were cheap at any wreckers last I checked some years ago…

If you have access to the horn. It’s easy to jump 12V directly to the horn to see if it works. If the horn is indeed faulty, any horn from any brand car should do as a replacement.

PS: haven’t looked at the wiring diagram but I’d suspect you could easily jumper 12v directly to the horn thought the correct relay pin. If it sounds, could be faulty relay or faulty wiring to the steering wheel or faulty horn button or faulty horn button earth.

PPS: The PDF of the VF workshop manual has a details diagnostic flow for checking such things. You can download it from the link within post #9 of this thread.

PITA to navigate the doc as the internal links don’t work. So best to use a pc and have the PDF bookmark pane open so you can jump to the desired sections more easily.

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
the horns mounted on the front end module i I can't remember how accessible it is with the bumper fitted....

Holden have placed it to make what was once a two minute job, a two hour fix.

It's good for the dealership's bottom line.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Series 2 horn is mounted in front of the R/H front wheel.
Need to remove the wheel well liner to access it, it's easier with the wheel removed.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Series 2 horn is mounted in front of the R/H front wheel.
Need to remove the wheel well liner to access it, it's easier with the wheel removed.
Under the headlight then :cool:

And presumably that’s not the case for series 1 left and right horns?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Under the headlight then :cool:

And presumably that’s not the case for series 1 left and right horns?
Lower than the headlight, closer to the wheel well.
Not sure about the series 1, one of the VE horns is mounted near the wiper motor, not sure where the other one is.