Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox dipstick retrofit

2014ltdltz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF Commodore
G'day all - Anyone know the Holden/GM part number for the OEM dipstick and tube which will retrofit onto a MY VF2 with the 6.2 and 6L80 gearbox? The VF2s sold in the US did not come with gearbox dipstick tubes. Anyone know what will work without fabrication? Looking for a direct bolt-on fitment. Cheers.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Reactions: Lex

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
As above. Can be tricky to install routing it over the wiring. Becomes easier with the exhaust headers /manifold off.
Ive installed mine twice, and 2nd time was exhaust off.

2014ltdltz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF Commodore
Thanks for the quick replies!

I knew about the Jannetty site/product, but not thrilled with their prices. My logic kept taking me to the idea that there must be an OEM GM part from an existing 6.2L-powered vehicle (full-size pick-up or Tahoe/Suburban? - not sure what those models might be known as in Oz) which would likely work (?). As much as GM likes to occasionally throw curveballs in terms of parts design, they do frequently dip into the communal parts bin, so to speak. I was somehow hoping (against hope?) that maybe someone had figured out an OEM answer for it.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
My logic kept taking me to the idea that there must be an OEM GM part from an existing 6.2L-powered vehicle (full-size pick-up or Tahoe/Suburban? - not sure what those models might be known as in Oz) which would likely work (?).
No such models in Australia. Holden imported a few Suburbans back in 1998.
GM HQ only discovered Holden in about 2000, courtesy of Bob Lutz, then decided to get rid of it by slow death about the GFC time.
Token efforts via the imported Opel Insignia / Buick Regal cloned Commodore, Equinox and Acadia failed big time.
Silverado and Camaro were converted to RHD by 3rd party manufacturers.

2014ltdltz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF Commodore
So, after a little bit of digging, I found the following GM part #s for a 2020 Chevrolet Tahoe (full-size SUV on a platform similar to the Silverado) in police trim with the 6L80 and the 5.3L version of the same block as the LS3 6.2 (I think).

dipstick: 24271875
tube: 24267838

Being that it is the same gearbox and (I think) the same external dimensions of the engine block, these MIGHT be the parts for a retrofit (???).

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Thanks for the quick replies!

I knew about the Jannetty site/product, but not thrilled with their prices. My logic kept taking me to the idea that there must be an OEM GM part from an existing 6.2L-powered vehicle (full-size pick-up or Tahoe/Suburban? - not sure what those models might be known as in Oz) which would likely work (?). As much as GM likes to occasionally throw curveballs in terms of parts design, they do frequently dip into the communal parts bin, so to speak. I was somehow hoping (against hope?) that maybe someone had figured out an OEM answer for it.
What makes you think GM prices would be any better?

2014ltdltz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF Commodore
What makes you think GM prices would be any better?
I'm not a fan of GM pricing, either. However, if there is a GM part number, you can often find an aftermarket replacement. Searching the part numbers on the web will often yield multiple online suppliers who may provide competitive pricing. I haven't priced it out yet, just looking for possible alternatives.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Did the gen 5 Camaro SS come with a dipstick for the trans? That car's built on the zeta platform like the VE and VF, so if it had one, it should fit your car.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I haven't priced it out yet, just looking for possible alternatives.
$95USD for JRE locking dipstick and tube + $209USD USPS priority US mail :eek:

$93USD for GM 24267838 tube only + $103USD for shipping :eek:

Shipping costs are just crazy :eek:

The lowest i've seent the GM part # is ~$60USD but they only shup within USA

Note that the GM part # looks differnent in shape to the JRE part which we know fits the Chevy SS, so knowing shipping costs hurt, why take any risk with a part that may not fit :rolleyes: