Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Finally !!! New Reproduction Headlining Board and Fabric are available for Sedans

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Oops I thought this was the heart indicator thread, my bad.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Different shades too! :D
When VE roof linings became pretty well obsolete, it took a bit of work to match the black. Most trimmers black material was lighter than the genuine VE colour, more a dark grey. I found a material supplier in VIC who did the perfect VE colour match.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I considered painting my VP interior black. Hard to find decent blue plastics and the blue roof lining is NLA for some time now. Occasionally some NOS trim turns up but at more money than I think my VP deserves.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I considered painting my VP interior black.
Painting ? .......... as in with a rattle can or brush with housepaint ?

Back in the olden days (here I go again) , I painted the seats and door trims of my Zephyr black with spray-on vinyl dye. No idea now about what I used, just know I did it.
Worked well, didn't wear off , no clothing stains, and looked 100mph (back last century).

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Back in the olden days (here I go again) , I painted the seats and door trims of my Zephyr black with spray-on vinyl dye. No idea now about what I used, just know I did it.
Worked well, didn't wear off , no clothing stains, and looked 100mph (back last century).
I did that in my LX that had the lovely poo brown interior, with bench seat that I swapped for cream buckets that also got painted and yeah it was vinyl paint and its still available now at Autobarn.

Reactions: Lex

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak

Yes with vinyl dye. @someguy360 inspired with his tan make over

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Yes with vinyl dye. @someguy360 inspired with his tan make over
Yep, theres plenty of quality options on the market for interior trim.

When you drop a car off to an upholsterer for a full colour change they'll redo all the factory trim pieces with a professional vinyl/plastic dye unless you pay to wrap every single trim piece in leather/suede etc.

I use SEM which is upholstery shop grade quality, it penetrates the substrate so it doesn't flake/chip and will give a long lasting finish.

370847381_808908331025031_7155595687810008870_n.jpg

I've never had good results with the retail cans (VHT/Duplicolor dyes) they tend to get flakey no matter how much prep is involved.

SEM stuff will last the life of the car if cared for, have used it on quite a few cars now.

Paint shops that supply SEM will be able to colour match it to whatever you want as well (if your looking for factory colours). As it's made to order rather than pre-made cans etc.

1L through a 0.8mm spray gun will do a whole cars interior trims (door cards, plastics, scuff panels, glove box, pillars, consoles etc) inside and out

The seats if leather you'll want to do with a leather dye (similar to how you recolour shoes/boots) rather than a vinyl dye, vinyl and leather are very different substates and not compatible. Leather dye penetrates the hyde of the leather and permanently changes it's colour.

Like most things, it all comes down to prep. This interior had about 100 hours in it by the time I made a new headliner, door card inserts, gutted the entire interior out of the car and scuffed and primed it all properly, put a protective sealer over everything for extra protection and then reassembled the interior. I wouldn't attempt to do it with the interior in the car.

The way the SEM stuff lays down on the plastic/vinyl makes it look factory, looking at the plastic trims that have been done, you'd not be able to tell it's not OEM, unlike spray paint etc where you can clearly tell someones just painted the pieces and generally looks pretty tacky.

Last edited: