Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EYY's 95 VS Statesman

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Idle rpm is set in the tune.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yeah, I actually got my ute dyno power run from same place with it stock and then after I'd done a full exhaust, only other change was a 70mm throttlebody.
Got reasonable increase in torque and power. But a bit dubious about power as he didn't rev it right out as he said it didn't want to, where as after a lot happier to rev to 5500.
Did feel better on the road but you sometimes wonder whether louder exhaust makes you think that

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim, VS II Calais, HQ Premier
I had the stock tune in mine, and have had two tunes done by different people. TBH, I didn't really notice a difference between the stock and aftermarket tunes in terms of power. However, there are noticeable improvements with the auto shift points etc. Still idles somewhere around 700rpm as it always had, and in park or neutral sometimes idles up to around 1100rpm for a few seconds and dies back down, even with a tune from ace performance. Never does it in drive though, and tbh, I'd probably stick with the factory tune if I were to do it all again to save some cash.

Before I bought the cam, I spoke to the guys at crow and they said not to bother with a cam unless fitting a decent twin cat exhaust which apparently improves bottom end torque noticeably - something I still need to do. I have one for it, but need to modify the engine pipes to suit the hsv headers.

I drove a stock one a few weeks ago and god it was slow - very reluctant to rev. Mine's very happy up at around 5500rpm unlike some of my previous stock 304's. Got a roller cam block and a bigger roller cam to go in later on down the track with flat tops etc. Just a matter of making the time to put it together.

Mine does the same thing at idle where it idles higher in park and then settles down again, although sometimes it just idles high all the time in park (never really looked into it). Tune with mine made a difference as before it was tuned it used to stall when going from reverse to drive, or drive to reverse, and sometimes from park to reverse or drive, other then that I didn't notice a huge difference but it just felt better to drive. Twin cat exhaust does make a difference, I noticed that straight away when I changed it from the standard exhaust.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yeah it's never really bothered me, its not like I spend much time in park anyway haha. @afstruct what dyno figures did you end up with?

I've tidied up the engine bay a little bit. Removed some old wiring, changed the engine loom in the process and replaced the engine covers (polished ones came with an engine I got from the wreckers). Also fitted the BF fan as you may have seen the thermo fan thread. Pics aren't the best, it was getting dark when I took them haha.

dCtVkAt.jpg

jMlWGvY.jpg

Plans are to change strut tops and fit rear camber kit shortly. Also need to fit new tyres to the grange wheels and fit them. I'm not a massive fan of the caprice rims, so I'll probably move them on soon. The exhaust will be one of the next things I change too.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, so maloo so hsv quote 185kw at 4800 and 400 nm / 295 ftlb at 3800.
Standard power run was a paltry 151 hp at 4415 and torque was good at 313 nm / 231ftlb at 3915. He said it didn't want to rev past that but I never noticed that. He did know I was going to do a exhaust , just made me a little sus.
After throttlebody and exhaust which is pacemakers triys , twin 200 cel cats 2.5 into single 3.0 , wasn't cheap especially as I got the pacesy ceramic coated , but was told it would be good for up to 600 hp ,so I figured it would cover any future mods so was happy .
Second power run was 189 hp @5383 and 272 ftlb @ 3807.
He said that's pretty good i wouldn't bother with a cam but I'd already had one and was in the frame of mind to change it. It did seem to rev better.
So after cam which is the crow 4502 and normal associated new parts you do when changing cam. Different place for this run/ tune as local place doesn't tune the delco, but same mainline dyno's , both places.
With both places on graphs the speed doesn't coenside with revs and this place quoted peaks at a speed but after having this done over a year ago .
I'm pretty happy to say that the graph and revs line up with how the ute feels and seems to drive.
So I'd say 202 hp@ 4700 and 358.2 ftlb @ 3800.
In the graph it really jumps up in torque from about 2650 to 3800 and that really is reflected in the way it drives and feels and after that 4700 area, while it will rev out it is struggling and feels a bit flat .
That real upper rev range is a bit disappointing but hopefully one day compression and maybe a different manifold I don't know maybe will add a bit there , but for now and for road/ daily that midrange punch, in the right gear with 1/2 to 2/3 throttle makes it seem so effortless.
Certainly at least after 1st gear , when really up it , better to select next gear after 4800 or there abouts makes more sense because of that midrange drive up to about 4600.
When I was first looking around for someone to tune it Joe at ace performance tuning did say with that combo get around 150 kw.
I am thinking of getting it retuned ,probably with Joe , mainly hopefully get better kick down points and some better fuel economy, especially now I'vegot a rebuilt gearbox and from what auto guy said.
Sorry I'vebeen a bit long winded ha ha ha

Last edited:

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh yeah and mine according to the taco sits on 750 in drive 98% of the time, a bit higher in park or neutral. Also need to keep my foot a bit firmer on brake pedal when stopped . It will roll along at about 10kmph without putting foot on throttle.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I sold the polished caprice rims to a mate, and the stockies are back on the stato. In the process of fitting a camber kit, replacing strut tops and control arm bushes. Also respraying the senator wheels and have just fitted new tyres - just haven't inflated them yet as it's easier to mask when the bead isn't seated. Only a spray can job, but this VHT stuff goes alright.

tMQSljn.jpg

After sanding
ANiQmRj.jpg

6Umth8p.jpg

Silver applied
uSB9UvY.jpg

Clearcoated
2qu5Bw8.jpg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
**** they come up alright :)

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Nice work EYY. They look great.

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
Awesome work, vht is great to use it sprays and flows nicely.