Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EV fuel consumption costs.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Last weekend, I took the Crewman for a 700km return trip to the NSW South Coast. And saw a lot of Teslas around the place.
I have been thinking (yep …. dangerous) about how economical these EVs are, or are not.

When I read a review of an EV, figures such as battery capacity and range are mentioned, most of which are a straight copy of the relevant sales brochure, and how joyous it is to a potential owner saving the planet.
There are never any actual figures quoted about the theoretical range and the actual range in a real road test.

The only test I have read was one about driving from Sydney to the “outback” (being to Wagga Wagga, not Dead Dingo Creek ) and the range anxiety and tribulations experienced by the tester........................ Electric car put to the test in regional and rural NSW - ABC News

As I calculated my fossil fuel cost over the week to be $21.20 / 100km, I am wondering does any JC member have either first-hand experience or anecdotal info about how much it costs to run an EV.
Not the scheduled services costs, but the $ per km, based on current electricity charges in Aus.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I am interested in anyone here who has moved into EV ownership to provide comparisons in the way they use them.
I have a look every now & then to see if I want a Tesla lol

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
same as petrol engines the quoted factory range is never achievable unless in there exact conditions, if an ICE is kept in good working order then it will keep the same range, if u get an EV its range will go down from usage and charge cycles so will never be as good as the day u got it, EV are not all cheaper tho wait till out elec prices keep going up

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
The big worry ATM I think is that they are encouraging more EVs, and thus more electricity usage, when the grid doesn’t have a lot of reserve capacity as it is.

If all the EVs being connected were V2G it wouldn’t be a problem as the EVs would contribute to the stability of the grid but V2G isn’t even a thing here yet.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
The big worry ATM I think is that they are encouraging more EVs, and thus more electricity usage, when the grid doesn’t have a lot of reserve capacity as it is.

If all the EVs being connected were V2G it wouldn’t be a problem as the EVs would contribute to the stability of the grid but V2G isn’t even a thing here yet.
thats what worries me if u have an EV charging over night but the system need your charge then u get up in the morning to go to work and u have a flat battery or low charge so makes it pointless, sure it supports the grid but not the car if im reading that approach right

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
thats what worries me if u have an EV charging over night but the system need your charge then u get up in the morning to go to work and u have a flat battery or low charge so makes it pointless, sure it supports the grid but not the car if im reading that approach right
Well it wouldn’t deplete your battery entirely and leave you with SFA. Everyone would be up in arms about that and rightly so.

Realistically the highest demand on the grid is when everyone comes home from work until they go to bed (generally 5pm until 10pm or so). The logical way for it to work is that your car discharges into the grid when you get home from work at 5pm and plug it in.

Once the peak demand is over around 10pm (possibly earlier depending on grid demand) then your car would start charging and would be fully charged in the morning.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
However, while searching I found a similar story https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/sydney-perth-ev-trip/
From that link ...........

The average cost of charging on a fast charger was approximately $0.40 per kWh, whereas the slow roadhouse chargers cost about $1 per kWh. The total cost of charging was $714 for the 9,630km trip, including all Tesla Superchargers and Chargefox DC fast charging.
Compare that to the average petrol car (9L/100km) with an average fuel price on their route of $1.95/litre, spending a total of around $1,700 on petrol. That’s a saving of almost 60% for the EV.

Interesting. That is the sort of info I was curious about.

.......... and that is point that a lot of EV pushers are avoiding.
When we are being threatened with load shedding with peak demand periods, because coal fired power stations are dirty and being shut down, an extra load on the system is just what we don't need.

I have just received a letter from Energy Australia advising that my charges will increase from 01 March by about 5c per KwH across the board at all times of the day. Happy days. :mad:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
From that link ...........

The average cost of charging on a fast charger was approximately $0.40 per kWh, whereas the slow roadhouse chargers cost about $1 per kWh. The total cost of charging was $714 for the 9,630km trip, including all Tesla Superchargers and Chargefox DC fast charging.
Compare that to the average petrol car (9L/100km) with an average fuel price on their route of $1.95/litre, spending a total of around $1,700 on petrol. That’s a saving of almost 60% for the EV.

Interesting. That is the sort of info I was curious about.
looks like about 16+ hours or waiting to charge in that article so have to factor that in your trips too

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Really ,
EV Consumption Tests
Make sure you have Genny in the boot,

Sorry, don’t start EV BS on me, not interested !

I only deal with really cars !
Not with little boy Toy Cars !.

LA,LA, LA,LA,LA,