Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

does Anyone in Adelaide know an 8 year old with small hands ?

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Well I've just discovered that my 14 year old daughter has hands small enough to get in through the opening.

So here's her baptism of fire with a Sidchrome 1/4 inch spindle drive and being coached by my 22 year old lad who did it for me when he was around 12 years old.

It blows me away that I never thought of her and the wife said while at the stove, how about Livvy ??
:rolleyes:

tsk tsk, all children are fair game regardless of gender, and girls often have smaller hands & better fine motor skills. She should have been your first thought. The fuel smell after lingering on her skin might have you offering some compensation however :p

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Last 2 I have done with a thick coat hanger wire. Just bent about 20mm at the end to get into the venturi part and rotate it about 90 degrees and it comes apart.

Can then replace the hose and use the hose to put it back in and turn until.it locked into position.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Have heard of people attaching return hose to feed pipe so it returns fuel from top.

Never done it but think that is how one of them are setup from factory looking at rare spares reproductions.

Other options are radiator mob to cut open & weld back together or get removable bulkhead fitted.

*** curious to know if anyone looks or notices the lines to plastic tank inside are perished or possible issues that may cause.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Last 2 I have done with a thick coat hanger wire. Just bent about 20mm at the end to get into the venturi part and rotate it about 90 degrees and it comes apart.

Can then replace the hose and use the hose to put it back in and turn until.it locked into position.
Oh so what you are saying is that the fitting that the hose slips over and is clamped to can be removed by rotating it ? So my daughter should be able to slip her hand inside the tank and rotate it and remove it and then we can fit the new hose and slip it into the tank and she can again put it in place and rotate it back to how it should be ???

If that's the case then this elliminates the mucking around with spindle drives to undo the clamp inside the tank in situ ?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Oh so what you are saying is that the fitting that the hose slips over and is clamped to can be removed by rotating it ? So my daughter should be able to slip her hand inside the tank and rotate it and remove it and then we can fit the new hose and slip it into the tank and she can again put it in place and rotate it back to how it should be ???

If that's the case then this elliminates the mucking around with spindle drives to undo the clamp inside the tank in situ ?
Correct, the end needs to be turned 90 degrees and it separates from the swirl pot.

Reactions: Lex

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have heard of people attaching return hose to feed pipe so it returns fuel from top.

Never done it but think that is how one of them are setup from factory looking at rare spares reproductions.

Other options are radiator mob to cut open & weld back together or get removable bulkhead fitted.

*** curious to know if anyone looks or notices the lines to plastic tank inside are perished or possible issues that may cause.

Sorry what lines inside ? There are none apart from the rubber return line that goes from the pump assembly plate to the bottom of the swirl pot. BTW if you fit the return line to the pump structure so that it feeds back in to the top of the swirl pot then you still have an issue with it feeding straight out of the return line port that's open to the tank.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
all else fails u might be able to use something like this, where it has the thread for the handle u could attach a long thin piece of metal to get the leverage against the screw the turn it

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Correct, the end needs to be turned 90 degrees and it separates from the swirl pot.

Wow !!!! Thanks Wot, that'll make things much easier for her not being able to see what she's actually doing inside the tank.

When this is all done I'll post up some photos of the event as it went down. I'm feeling much more positive about it all now.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
all else fails u might be able to use something like this, where it has the thread for the handle u could attach a long thin piece of metal to get the leverage against the screw the turn it

I was thinking about something like that this morning. I'm sure it would come in handy for many other applications as well.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I was thinking about something like that this morning. I'm sure it would come in handy for many other applications as well.
A couple of Dewalt versions, available from Bunnings.
2024-05-07 21.18.37.jpg