Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY Prepping and Painting your own car!

17UCK!

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs III commodore ute
when sanding your car back do u have to get it too metal? or just remove the shine on the paint?

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
Thanks 50LTRv8 :thumbsup:

I bought the paint online from Welcome to Whitworths Marine & Leisure

And its called International Brightside Gloss.

I should do a how-to on the method....

This thread is a great alternative to painting your car with rollers, because from what I have gathered there is much, much more sanding involved with the roller method.
As for Whitworths, I am currently restoring a 4.4 metre fibreglass boat and I go to them for buying lots of products. You can go to Bristol and other paint shops for pretty much the same products (1 and 2 pack paints etc. International and brightside etc.), but I've found that Whitworths are generally the cheapest.
If you are in Melboure, there is a whitworths in Elizabeth...or exhibition street, there's only one in VIC. There is also a place called discount Discount Seamart a block or 2 down the road from Whitworths, so it is great to see who has the sales on as they are pretty competitive price wise. Whitworths is a retail chain, Discount sea mart is not. Both sell pretty much the same products.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

You can either remove the clear coat, ie that is rough the paint up so you have removed the shine or you can bare metal it...Bare metal means more work...

Choice is yours

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bare metal is often needed if the original paint has cracks. Bare metal is sometimes preferred if painting 2k over acrylic.