Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] difference between vs lg2 engine and vx ln3 engine

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hmmm, not 100% sure what all the engine codes were used on the V6 motors in Commodores.

edit:
Just had a look at some old pics, our old VS V6 had engine code LG2 and so did my old brother in laws VP -BT1 V6
I'm still confused? Did all vs v6 have the ecotec?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No. VN to VR had the older Buick 3800V6 motors. It gets confusing because the US uses different engine codes than we do. It's been a while but I'm fairly sure the engine that came out in the VN was known as the LN3 Which then became the L27 in the VP or VR. Our engines were a bit different because we retained the one piece intake manifold on our version of the L27 where as in the US they changed to a 2 piece banana style intake manifold.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
No. VN to VR had the older Buick 3800V6 motors. It gets confusing because the US uses different engine codes than we do. It's been a while but I'm fairly sure the engine that came out in the VN was known as the LN3 Which then became the L27 in the VP or VR. Our engines were a bit different because we retained the one piece intake manifold on our version of the L27 where as in the US they changed to a 2 piece banana style intake manifold.
My vt v6 engine code is LN3.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It's a bit of a weird system but it is what it is.

• Haha

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Just had a look at some old pics, our old VS V6 had engine code LG2 and so did my old brother in laws VP -BT1 V6
I thought the VS was the introduction of the Ecotecs, and the VP had the old Buick motor...

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It was but all we are talking about is the engine code on the build plate. If you read through the list of RPO codes I posted earlier they all refer to the 3800 V6 motor. The ecotec is just an evolution of the older 3800 Buick V6. Ecotec is what Holden called this motor down here, in America the Ecotec is something completely different and what we know as the Ecotec they call it the L36.

How many Commodores have GU4 for the axle code, what does it mean? All it means is 3.08 ratio but it doesn't tell you if it's a standard open diff or LSD.

Guessing why and how Holden/GM uses RPO codes is a mystery.

An earlier post in the thread describes the differences quiet well between early ecotec motors (VS) and later (VX/VY). All that info is still correct and relevant.

Sometimes it just pays to not overthink these things.

All ecotec motors are basically interchangeable, there were minor changes/improvements made during the production run. Head castings (cracking), intake manifold PCV location, EGR etc

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
It was but all we are talking about is the engine code on the build plate. If you read through the list of RPO codes I posted earlier they all refer to the 3800 V6 motor. The ecotec is just an evolution of the older 3800 Buick V6. Ecotec is what Holden called this motor down here, in America the Ecotec is something completely different and what we know as the Ecotec they call it the L36.

How many Commodores have GU4 for the axle code, what does it mean? All it means is 3.08 ratio but it doesn't tell you if it's a standard open diff or LSD.

Guessing why and how Holden/GM uses RPO codes is a mystery.

An earlier post in the thread describes the differences quiet well between early ecotec motors (VS) and later (VX/VY). All that info is still correct and relevant.

Sometimes it just pays to not overthink these things.

All ecotec motors are basically interchangeable, there were minor changes/improvements made during the production run. Head castings (cracking), intake manifold PCV location, EGR etc
So pretty much the VN to VR are Buick motors, and the VS to VY are named Ecotecs, although they're also Buick derived engines as well...

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride