Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Current draw on Fuse 1 (Parking Lamps, Trip Computer, Pwr Antenna)

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
This will identify the fuse on the faulting circuit, right? I've already done that.

Yep.

Maybe dig out a copy of the official service manual (there are many bootleg copies on the net) and look up what is actually connected on that fuse. Then, it’s really a process of elimination by disconnect ing each item one by one and noting the current change. However, as you probably know, getting access to the relevant connectors is much easier said than done!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yep.

Maybe dig out a copy of the official service manual (there are many bootleg copies on the net) and look up what is actually connected on that fuse. Then, it’s really a process of elimination by disconnect ing each item one by one and noting the current change. However, as you probably know, getting access to the relevant connectors is much easier said than done!

Humm, I know I'm stupid, but doesn't the thread title mention what the fuse is for?

And yes, disconnecting one by one would be the best way to find the culprit

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Humm, I know I'm stupid, but doesn't the thread title mention what the fuse is for?

Not stupid at all.

I assume that the OP has checked the items listed against that fuse and is still having issues. So, I figured that there might be something connected that is not listed against that fuse in the fuse panel.

And, who knows, there might be some aftermarket device patched in to that circuit? It’s hard to be certain as to what the issue is via the internet!

:)

Greg SV6

Reaction score

The fuse is labelled 'Parking Lamps, Trip Computer, Pwr Antenna' but there could be other things connected. Pulling the fuse turns the AC off so there's at least that.

Any idea how to disconnect those things anyway? I've tested Antenna, how can I isolate lamps and trip computer?

Greg SV6

Reaction score
Not stupid at all.

I assume that the OP has checked the items listed against that fuse and is still having issues. So, I figured that there might be something connected that is not listed against that fuse in the fuse panel.

And, who knows, there might be some aftermarket device patched in to that circuit? It’s hard to be certain as to what the issue is via the internet
I've checked the antenna but not sure how to test the other items on that fuse (Parking Lamps, Trip Computer) apart from confirming that they are working.
There's definitely nothing modified to this car, family member bought it new when he was ~70, it's 100% stock.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
The fuse is labelled 'Parking Lamps, Trip Computer, Pwr Antenna' but there could be other things connected. Pulling the fuse turns the AC off so there's at least that.

Any idea how to disconnect those things anyway? I've tested Antenna, how can I isolate lamps and trip computer?

That’s where the proper/offical manuals are really good - they show the wiring harness and the connectors. They are still hard to follow, but they beat hanging upside down under a dash tracing out a loom.

The aftermarket manual (Haynes etc) aren’t so good for the electrics as they lack the detail of the official manual.

I haven’t got a copy of the manual, but there are/were PDFs and cd copies about. I’d be chasing down one of those.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It won’t take much searching to find a copy. The diagrams are as detailed as they get.

You can pull relays as well to isolate a circuit. Some will be in the engine bay and others in under the steering wheel.

Greg SV6

Reaction score
You can pull relays as well to isolate a circuit. Some will be in the engine bay and others in under the steering wheel.
Ah that's a good idea I hadn't thought of, I'll give that a go tomorrow night.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Troubleshooting an issue with the V6 VS Statesman, the battery has started going flat every 2-3 days in the last couple of weeks.

I've replaced the battery but the problem persists.
Alternator is only a couple of years old and is providing a charge.
I removed the battery earth/negative, and with a multimeter observed current draw of 0.9A.
With the multimeter still connected I removed each fuse one by one, and found that removing Fuse 1 reduced the current draw from 0.9A to 0.06A, a difference of 840mA.

The label on this fuse is 'Parking Lamps, Trip Computer, Pwr Antenna', it also seems to be linked to the AC because when the fuse is out and the car on, the AC display doesn't turn on and fans are all blasting.

For now we're removing Fuse 1 when we're not driving the car, too early in at this to confirm results but I think it will work for now.

Does this confirm something on that Fuse 1 circuit is drawing much more than it should (I'm assuming so)?
How can I further isolate what it might be?
Are there any known failure types which cause an excessive draw in the range of 840mA?
Any other advice for troubleshooting?

F1 also powers the clock directly from this fuse.

Last edited: