Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Cam Crank Voltage

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Make sure you don’t put the probe into the connector pins. They will easily splay apart and permanently cause intermittent faults.

T-pins from Spotlight or bent needles can be used to “back probe” the connector plug. They should be inserted from the back of the plug, under the weather seal. This will give a secure positive connection to measure from without damaging the terminals.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The King. Paul Danner.

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Make sure you don’t put the probe into the connector pins. They will easily splay apart and permanently cause intermittent faults.

T-pins from Spotlight or bent needles can be used to “back probe” the connector plug. They should be inserted from the back of the plug, under the weather seal. This will give a secure positive connection to measure from without damaging the terminals.

Cheers, yeah nah, didn't apply much pressure, just held it against.
My meters probes are 3 times that size of those pins anyway, it'd never fit in there.

Their test uses a 5V system and the signal wire is 0V... Mines a 12V system with about +6V coming out of the DFI modual on the signal wire...

I suppose I should do the test again with a cam & crank sensor plugged into those wires..........
See if the signal wire goes to 0V when it's plugged in.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
These are the T-pins from Spotlight. Very good for back probing. Get as fine of a pin as possible.

IMG_6385.jpeg

Then get an alligator clamp onto them and connect it to the multimeter. Be careful with them touching stuff once connected.

You can also get back probes that are like surgical needles. Strong and fine. They connect to the multimeter. Slide under the seal on the back of the plug super easy.

Then you can gather accurate measurements.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Cheers, yeah nah, didn't apply much pressure, just held it against.
My meters probes are 3 times that size of those pins anyway, it'd never fit in there.

Their test uses a 5V system and the signal wire is 0V... Mines a 12V system with about +6V coming out of the DFI modual on the signal wire...

I suppose I should do the test again with a cam & crank sensor plugged into those wires..........
See if the signal wire goes to 0V when it's plugged in.
that style of sensor can be a PNP or NPN type, one has power, earth and outputs a pulse signal voltage when it passes an object, the other has power, earth and signal voltage this one then when passes a object it pulls the voltage down to zero for the pulse, if u have the sensor plugged in put the multimeter on the earth pin and the signal and see what it reads then put a piece of metal at the sensor and it should do the opposite of what it is voltage will go to zero volts or no voltage will go to voltage