Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery issue

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You are. A multimeter in current mode can catch people out. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve had to replace a fuse in a multimeter because someone left the leads in the current terminal, or they don’t fully understand how to use a multimeter in current mode.

Clamp-ons are pretty tolerant of abuse (current overload) and don’t need the circuit ‘opened up’ to do the measurement. Also, a lot of cars (including the VE and VF) progressively shutdown over about a 15~20 minutes. So, opening the battery circuit resets that time, so the current goes back to a higher level than the fully shutdown mode. But in any case, chasing a parasitic current draw over 1A is pretty easy.

$120 for a clamp meter is pretty low cost compared to a visit to an auto electrician. :)

I have provided a youtube video which explains how to do the test from set up of the multimetre to finding the problem

I'd suggest you do the same so people can make their own decision which is the method they prefer....

Oh and it costs about $23 for an elcheapo multimetre from supercheap, which is suitable to do the job

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sca-sca-multimeter-digital---automotive/4405.html

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I have provided a youtube video which explains how to do the test from set up of the multimetre to finding the problem

I'd suggest you do the same so people can make their own decision which is the method they prefer....

Oh and it costs about $23 for an elcheapo multimetre from supercheap, which is suitable to do the job

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sca-sca-multimeter-digital---automotive/4405.html

And I provided some figures. Go and rewatch the.video and see what the current drops to when he pulls the fuse with the circuit that has the parasitic load — they go and reread my post (posted before your video post) and see if my prediction was right. :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You're talking about using some clamp on tool and I'm referring to a multimetre, which costs a fraction of the tool you're referring to

I also said I used the video when finding my current draw...Forgot to say, I used a multimetre, which is the tool used in the video

The choice is a personal one which one someone wants to use...I personally don't care....I can only put up the one I found successful, including using the same tools they used and added in the cost as well as the place to buy such tools

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The vehicle is probably not entering sleep mode.
Choose one of the methods and monitor the draw after stopping the vehicle.

If it does not lower the current draw after 1 minute and then after 10 minutes something is keeping the system awake.