Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bad alloytec rattle only at 3000rpm+

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
View attachment 268120
Full charge!
Fire for effect!!

Boom!
1715766972694.png

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
So quick update on all this, my boss was able to order a new evap solenoid and oxy sensors, as soon as the put the oxy sensors in the pre cat it ran heaps better, sounds cammed, less rattles, and also somehow that really bad rattle is gone. Don’t know how, also while I was under there I banged on the cats and the passo side rattles. But it’s weird because it dosent rattle once I put good oxy sensors on there. But the passo side cat could need replacing. I also put in the new Evap solenoid and that stop rattling. The car runs a lot smoother now. It still rattles on idle though, I got the stethoscope on it and it’s loudest at the injectors and exhaust manifold, on both sides. The middle injector is the loudest. So could be injector tick maybe. I run 98 though so might not be. But other than that ticking noise the car runs and drives smooth as. The ticking noise it has now though seems to have quieted down a little bit, I’ll put a video up, but alot of progress has been made.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I bet the O2 sensor was loose and that was the exhaust leak.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
The post cat one was loose actually haha don’t know how. May have made the rattle way more audible maybe. It’s still leaking I reckon though but sounds and feels a lot better

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nah. Watched it. Thats either an exhaust manifold leak, or it’s a compression issue.

You can talk yourself into swapping all sorts there, but that’s what it is.

Reactions: Lex

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Nah. Watched it. Thats either an exhaust manifold leak, or it’s a compression issue.

Yeah I’m not to sure about an exhaust leak as much now because the stethoscope picked up the ticking from the rockers, injectors, heads, pretty much everywhere. But if it’s a compression issue where would it be leaking you reckon? Head gasket maybe? I’ll look into it a bit more and try and get someone from work to have a look over it. But I hope it’s not a compression issue.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec

Should I get a compression test done first? I’ll have a look now and see if it’s cheap to buy a kit to test it

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Get the intake off. Get the injectors off. Remove the lower intake gasket. That will be one place if you are convinced that’s the location of the sound. It is combustion pressure you are hearing. Not mechanical.

However, rather than fk about with guesses do a smoke test and without removing a thing and 30 mins of your time, you locate the exact place or places and be able to do a quick targeted repair and solve the issue. Unless that’s a head gasket, it won’t be quick.