Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bad alloytec rattle only at 3000rpm+

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
An intake leak won’t cause those noises but it will have the car running like shizzen.

Who tuned the car with exhaust leaks on it? How would a tuner be willing to do that?

All that aside, confirm no exhaust leaks with a smoke test.

Confirm no intake leaks with a smoke test.

Confirm compression on each cylinder with figures.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
An intake leak won’t cause those noises but it will have the car running like shizzen.

Who tuned the car with exhaust leaks on it? How would a tuner be willing to do that?
Yeah I’ll have a look at fixing them then if there is any, and it was just a quick cheap tune at power tourqe engines, normally he wouldn’t do camshaft tunes on an alloytec because he’s never done them but he was just making it drivable. Only got done because my boss is really good mates with him.
I do want to take it to gc cars in Nerang because I know there good with alloytecs, just a long drive there, and want to get everything fixed before I take it there, and was thinking about a shift kit, and a tourqe convertor rebuild with a 3500 stall, need to see if that’s possible though, and pretty sure I’d need a tune for all that.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You know at the end of it all you’ll have dropped $10k gained an extra 30kW and realised $10k would have easily got you an SS after selling yours and way more power off a stock motor.

Reactions: Lex

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
You know at the end of it all you’ll have dropped $10k gained an extra 30kW and realised $10k would have easily got you an SS after selling yours and way more power off a stock motor.
Oh yeah 100% I completely agree with you, even though I don’t like thinking about how much money I’ve spent on it, and how much power I’ve gained, I’ve still learned heaps, way more then I would with an ss motor. And if I did have an ss i probably would have killed myself by now haha, best for me to stay with the alloytec till I learn how to drive properly.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
I had a look at the noises today though, so the evap solenoid is ticking 100% I can feel it ticking when I hold it, and that rattle, it’s coming from the exhaust, I’m 99% sure. Maybe a blown cat? Wondering what you reckon because I’m not sure what they sound like. This video is way more clearer with the sound too. Could also explain the other ticking too?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you have a blown cat on a VE I'd say you would have errors on your dash. Even an aftermarket cat has to be tuned in on a VE or it throws a hissy.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
If you have a blown cat on a VE I'd say you would have errors on your dash. Even an aftermarket cat has to be tuned in on a VE or it throws a hissy.
Yeah I have o2 sensor issues I’ve had them for 4 months now, but yeah there aftermarket cats, and have been tuned, the codes are p0030, p0050, and p0140, I have errors for post cat o2 sensors and when I redid my exhaust the other day I swapped the o2 sensors around and now I have errors for pre cat/cat sensors, I got them off eBay so might explain why, but I’ve also got a code for post cat now which is that p0140

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Repco sell quality O2 sensors. EBay sell rubbish O2 sensors. Now you have to pay twice unfortunately.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Repco sell quality O2 sensors. EBay sell rubbish O2 sensors. Now you have to pay twice unfortunately.
Yeah okay I’ll get those then, but does that sound like a blown cat to you? Or something else?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't you work in a garage? Why not slip it on the hoist and get the boss to give his opinion?

Reactions: Lex