Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

anyone seen one of these?

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk commodore sl
Lexx said:
Only 500cfm!! :eek:
My missus dries her hair with a hair dryer that flows more than that :rofl:
I'm no expert but I think the old 202 6cyl Commodore had a carby that flowed just under 500cfm.
Todays fuel injected engines flow well in excess of 500cfm, probably more like 1000+cfm so you'd be restricting your air flow at full throttle :ranting:
Spend your hard earned $$$ on something better.

i reference to the 202 cyl commodore motor, u can put any old carby on there, 500-600-750cfm etc etc, but it would not work very well at all, and ul have to have shares in shell or sumthin, a 202 only needs around 300cfm carby, most ppl put a 350 holley on, but have problems with flatspots down low. A 320 holley is a great alrounder, right thru the whole rev range.

this electric charger thing, i wouldnt touch it, seems hell dodgy to me, it mite work a little bit, but an increase of air into your motor means an increase of fuel as well, so dont just think slapping it on will do anything, it just isnt that easy.

as for the crs charger kit, boost can be set at what u want depeniding on pulley size and max rpm of the motor, i think its 6 and 10psi (crs) for the old 202 etc, and yes around 3psi for the 3.8's, reason why? u can still run stock ecu on 3 psi, but anything more and the computer cannot cope, thats where u need to upgrade computer, injectors etc to get more fuel in then u can get a smaller pulley size to run more boost. with the crs kit its more suited to the older carby models as its a bit easier to get things going for less.

performance + reliabilty = money.

-Cam

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
500cfm

500CFM on a modern FI car , no problems , if you read the PRESS [ eeer bulshit ] you use it like nitrus , for a boost in power during take off and turn it off when cruising ...

The 1200CFM model might be more interesting to try on a 6 or 8 to see if there is any increased low down giddy-up ...

But as revs increase , expect deminishing results ...
Could be ok for the RED light cowboys , or those needing tyre burning power .

A 20-30% increase from the get go is nothing to sneeze at , but it just wont last through the rev range ...

Might be able to get them cheaper from the manufacturer in Asia ?

:whistling

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
blue alliance said:
this sounds like another querky thing some young fellas were telling me about the other night. They were talking about fitting turbos to the end of the exhause system (ie tail pipe area). This quickly raised alot of questions but they stuck to there guns claiming it was true. anyone heard of this.
not exactly what youre talking about, but i have read of some japanese tuners mounting turbos under the floor or they were calling them muffler turbos. basically, instead of having the turbo right at the engine, they were placed further down the exhaust, the theory behind it being that the exhaust gas would be cooler i.e denser thus providing greater drive on the turbine, plus you get a lot of heat out of the engine bay, although it would be a bitch to run the plumbing!

Nos_VQ

Hot Rod Metal Fabricator
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VH wagon, 54 Plymouth
this is a turbo setup on an LT1

Setup as described above where the turbo is at the rear.

Attachments

• turbolt1final 001_0004.jpg
    turbolt1final 001_0004.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 194
  • turbolt1final 001_0002.jpg
    turbolt1final 001_0002.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 209

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Muffler turbo's..

go over a bump, kachunk, what was that.. Oh turbo i think.

Not to mention the lag because of the length of the intake and exhaust to build up the pressure.. Yikes.. Sure it could work, but not as good as having an efficient setup in the engine bay.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
bextor84 said:
Muffler turbo's..

go over a bump, kachunk, what was that.. Oh turbo i think.

Not to mention the lag because of the length of the intake and exhaust to build up the pressure.. Yikes.. Sure it could work, but not as good as having an efficient setup in the engine bay.
yeah, agree with you on the ground clearance thing, but think about this, on an average turbo setup, with front mount cooler, how long would the piping be? pretty long if you account for bends and the like, now what if you had a "muffler" turbo, with a water-to -air cooler to shorten the duct dramatically, wouldnt be any longer than the first mentioned setup, as for spooling times, you could work your way around that, not to mention the heat you are keeping OUT of the engine bay, which in turn means you could theoretically run more boost in a cooler engine...hmmmm

vinnywelsh

Bored Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 3.8L Berlina
This product is by far the coolest thing to ever happen to the import world.

says it all :rofl:

S

sikvs

one of my mates got one of these on his vp v6 ute, its a total joke. makes a crappy sound and even worse hp. my n/a vs v6 walks all over its ass with just a few simple mods