Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator for 1984 VK running a 355

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Hey All,

I have a Vk 1984 with 355 motor and wanting to get a new black alternator (Aeroflow) to match engine theme.

There is two to choose from that I see

100 Amp or 140.

What would suit my set up better?

Car has no air conditioning yet - but will in future
Battery is in boot (current setup works fine) I’m just not sure what alternator is in it atm.
Runs an additional holley blue fuel pump

Anyone else have similar setup that can advise on what’s best?

Thanks in advance

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Best option is to work out how much electrical power you need including potential future upgrades and use that as a guide.

Most alternators have it stamped/cast into the body what the rating is, something along the lines of 25/85 14.4 (typical V6 rating, 25 amp minimum output, 85amp maximum output rated @ 14.4 volts).

A lot of early V8's probably had 55amp alternators as standard.

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Best option is to work out how much electrical power you need including potential future upgrades and use that as a guide.

Most alternators have it stamped/cast into the body what the rating is, something along the lines of 25/85 14.4 (typical V6 rating, 25 amp minimum output, 85amp maximum output rated @ 14.4 volts).

A lot of early V8's probably had 55amp alternators as standard.
Thanks, I’ll check again on the original Alternator. I guess the larger Alt will be fine to ensure add on in future. I’ll ensure existing cable will suit the load. If not I’ll have to run new cable I guess to prevent issues.

100amp should be plenty as well I guess

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Running a warm 6 in my VC with an 85 amp Falcon alternator.

2 electric fans, stereo, amp, carter electric fuel pump, 2 130W spot lights, a light bar, 2 fog lights, CB and battery in the boot.

No flat battery issues with me

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I've got the 120amp Aeroflow in mine, I run FG thermo fan, Astra Power Steering pump, bigger EFI fuel pump, relocated battery and it's been fine with all that electric stuff.

100amp will easily cover your needs, the overall current draw on that car with the setup you have would be minimal.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
you plan on running thermo fans at any time?.... if so go the biggest you can afford
as they are power hungry mothers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
you plan on running thermo fans at any time?.... if so go the biggest you can afford
as they are power hungry mothers

I have fitted a Davies Craig controller fitted for mine, so they switch on and off at specific temps.....I find it helps with the constant power drain they are known for :)

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I have fitted a Davies Craig controller fitted for mine, so they switch on and off at specific temps.....I find it helps with the constant power drain they are known for :)
The BF/FG fan is definitely the way to go imo. I have no idea why people still use the AU stuff for conversions, they are noisy, ugly and power hungry

The FG fan looks nicer, is quiet, more CFM and less amp draw.

Pulls about 28a when it first turns on and at full blast sits at about 15-17a.

Compared to the AU’s that pull almost 50a when they kick in and you can hear them from a block away.

I’ve had mates with AU fans wired constantly and like you say that’s a lot of current draw to be pulling consistently.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The BF/FG fan is definitely the way to go imo. I have no idea why people still use the AU stuff for conversions, they are noisy, ugly and power hungry

The FG fan looks nicer, is quiet, more CFM and less amp draw.

Pulls about 28a when it first turns on and at full blast sits at about 15-17a.

Compared to the AU’s that pull almost 50a when they kick in and you can hear them from a block away.

I’ve had mates with AU fans wired constantly and like you say that’s a lot of current draw to be pulling consistently.

I've got a Davies Craig 16" and an unknown brand 12" fan on my VC....