Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4L60/65 Tap Shift may be possible

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS, VZ Pontiac GTO
Unrelated, but if I could just get a VE E38 OS to talk to a VZ ABS module without throwing fault codes, it would make the VZ platform the most exciting to play with for the next couple years!

I am loving the work that so many are doing right now with this platform. I am more motivated than ever to get my own Crewman running.

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
technically at the moment, on the conversion dummy. it has the trac off displayed on the dash because it's registering a configuration mismatch error in the ebcm. I suspect because the dash & pim has been changed to tell it has a 5l40e that is causing it.

I ran out of time to test if changing the ebcm will fix this, so i'll do that next week when im home again.

I have verified in 1 of my other cars that i can get the vz 12609099 OS to talk to a 2011 24256125 gearbox os. So i figure I can probable get a new model ecu to talk to the early trans to, so ABS is probably possible too.

In each os there is tables/settings to what the ECU or TCM monitors/listens to data on & you can select what the receiving module is. Looking at the various calibrations from VZ to VE/VF, Corvette etc they make changes to this. For instance on the VZ the ECU is expecting TCM data on a can ID of "320" & 2F0 (752 in decimal) for the ABS module.

In the early 06 VE, ecu is looking for TCM broadcast @ CAN ID - 0F9 , ABS @ 0C1. Think of these as a "heartbeat", if the ecu or tcm doesn't see any valid data for 5 samples it flags a loss of comms. The time in milliseconds can be varied for each can ID.

What's your reasoning for wanting the later OS option besides more injector resolution & maybe some improved idle control tables.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
i thought about the ebcm issue a bit more, highly likely the dash has no care in the world since it's only on the UART data network. So will just be the pim being setup as having the 5l40. With any luck there is similar adjustment options in the ebcm programming to make it happy again.
I do know that the CAN modules can broadcast their platform config.
Otherwise i might need to talk to someone like Jason @ envious to see if we can do some special parameter changes that the tech2 can't do.

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
technically at the moment, on the conversion dummy. it has the trac off displayed on the dash because it's registering a configuration mismatch error in the ebcm. I suspect because the dash & pim has been changed to tell it has a 5l40e that is causing it.

I ran out of time to test if changing the ebcm will fix this, so i'll do that next week when im home again.

I have verified in 1 of my other cars that i can get the vz 12609099 OS to talk to a 2011 24256125 gearbox os. So i figure I can probable get a new model ecu to talk to the early trans to, so ABS is probably possible too.

In each os there is tables/settings to what the ECU or TCM monitors/listens to data on & you can select what the receiving module is. Looking at the various calibrations from VZ to VE/VF, Corvette etc they make changes to this. For instance on the VZ the ECU is expecting TCM data on a can ID of "320" & 2F0 (752 in decimal) for the ABS module.

In the early 06 VE, ecu is looking for TCM broadcast @ CAN ID - 0F9 , ABS @ 0C1. Think of these as a "heartbeat", if the ecu or tcm doesn't see any valid data for 5 samples it flags a loss of comms. The time in milliseconds can be varied for each can ID.

What's your reasoning for wanting the later OS option besides more injector resolution & maybe some improved idle control tables.
Biggest reason would be to have an oil temp sensor. It's there in HPTuners for the 12607218 and 12609099 OSes, but does not work. It does work in an 07 VE OS.

I also want the ability to run a factory Fuel Pump Control Module. The 12609099 OS does support this so if I could get around the ABS woes I have when trying to use it that would get me 50% of my goal. These are both more for my GTO than the Crewman, but if I could get them working here I could convince more guys to switch their GTOs over to the E38 computers when they do engine swaps.

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
I think i know why the oil temp doesnt work. there is more then 1 switch/parameter.

There is the 1 that hpt/efilive show that gives u the option for calculated, or sensor based, but there is another that switches between gearbox & engine oil temp, then there is another table for the sensor calibration & another for if there is a trans temp sensor available.

X2-23 pin is where the sensor wiring goes back to.
12609099-oil.PNG

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think i know why the oil temp doesnt work. there is more then 1 switch/parameter.

There is the 1 that hpt/efilive show that gives u the option for calculated, or sensor based, but there is another that switches between gearbox & engine oil temp, then there is another table for the sensor calibration & another for if there is a trans temp sensor available.

X2-23 pin is where the sensor wiring goes back to.
View attachment 268181
I think you're right, because you can copy the VE setting to the VZ OS and it won't work. I figure it's some other bit value(s) that have to be changed outside of HPTuners or EFILive, or that sensor is being read but the data isn't being broadcast on the CAN. Here's the settings from a VE OS.
1715911794537.png

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
your abs issue with would also stem from the broadcast address used, looks like in the e40 it's listening on CAN ID 2F9, but the E38 is 2F0. It changes again for the VE & later models. Now while you can probably satisfy the ecu to listen for the ABS data. I'm not sure if the ABS module would be satisfied..

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
your abs issue with would also stem from the broadcast address used, looks like in the e40 it's listening on CAN ID 2F9, but the E38 is 2F0. It changes again for the VE & later models. Now while you can probably satisfy the ecu to listen for the ABS data. I'm not sure if the ABS module would be satisfied..
Do you happen to know which CAN ID a V6 ECU is looking for ABS data on?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the e38 ecu has oil temp sensor input so will only work if the sensor is fitted and wired in, oil temp sensor is tied in with the oil level sensor, also not sure why anyone would want fpcm in reality it doesn't do anything to help fuelling only benefit is they have fuel pressure sensor