Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gear Shift On An Auto,

Terence

Reaction score
I dont know if any one has had this problem, or how to fix it,
I assume i will have to take it back to the dealership.

The Button on the top of the gear shift has popped up, it is now sitting about a cm higher than what it should.
now i can see under the button,

It happened just after i changed gears and then it just popped up.

Any ideas on how this happened or how it fix it???

Thanks.

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I take it you can still change gears?....what about giving it a big push down?..or instead of risking breaking it, mabye take it to a holden dealer they might just have a quick look and fix it there and thenfor nothign or even tell you how to fix it, (slim chances but worth a go lol)

Terence

Reaction score
Yeah i can still change gears,
As for the Holden dealer they said i need to replace the part which if they can get the button by its self it is $30 for the button and about $100 or so for the labor. Worse case is i need a whole new T Section, and they did not give a price on that.

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
$100 bucks for labour, whoa expensive little button

Terence

Reaction score
It seems a bit of a rip off to me, thats why i was hoping that someone would know how to remove it without damaging anything, and i would replace it myself, and save me $100.

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
I've heard people changing it themselves, and it doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. They change it to the stato one which is chrome, but alas, I dunno how to do it.

Redfox

Reaction score
You gotta pull off the centre console by unscrewing those 2 screws next to the cigarette lighter. Then I think you might have to take off the two plastic sides of the console. You are essentially trying to get to the screws on the knob under the shifter panel. Get a haynes (or similar) workshop manual and it explains it quite well. Takes a bit of time, but definitely a do it yourself job.

TheJackal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina, 1964 EH Holden
Terence said:
Thanks for the Help, took about 30 minutes to do and cost me $5 for the part,
saves paying them $100.

Can you let me know what part is needed, and where you got it from. The exact same thing has happened to mine (VT2 Berlina) about an hour ago. Also, does the console have to be removed.

Cheers.

Terence

Reaction score
TheJackal said:
Can you let me know what part is needed, and where you got it from. The exact same thing has happened to mine (VT2 Berlina) about an hour ago. Also, does the console have to be removed.

Cheers.

Just go to the Parts section at the holden dealer and ask for the part, just give them a description of the part and they will know what you are talking about,

It should be about $5, thats all i paid.

Now as to how to remove the old part,

Ok Put the car in to 1st gear, you will find that there is a screw at the bottom of the gear shift.

Remove it.

Now where the cigi lighter is there are 2 screws, 1 on either side of the lighter, they also need to come out.

Then it is a matter of pulling all the plastic out, a bit of stength is required to take the cover off.

once that cover is off you should be able to pull the cover off the gear shift,
as the cover comes off so will part of the button.

Now you will see the big oval surround to the gear shift is still in place, there are 4 clips under it.

no i got these clips off by just pulling it out.

You should be able to see everything, now that, that piece is out, floating around down there will be a pin, and the other part to the button.

This next part i found the hardest, you need to put the new botton in the gear shift cover, at the same time put the oval disk back on (BUT NOT CLIPPED IN PLACE AS YOU STILL NEED TO BE ABLE TO MOVE IT.)

You will need long needle nose pliers,

hold the pin with the pliers at the same time push the button down on the gear shift, and lift the oval disk up a little so you can see the hole in the new shift button, slid the pin in to pace, then once that is done it is just a matter of putting everything back into place the way it was,

I hope this helps a little ;)