Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Parasitic battery drain

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Removing one fuse at a time or all fuses at once and then putting one at a time back in while checking the current draw really makes no difference (unless your inclined to mix up fuses and pu5 wrong ones in incorrect positions)…

It’s just to be methodical and know what is fused and what is not fused, how the BCM works w.r.t turning stuff on and going into sleep mode, etc…

Modern cars can be a PITA while old and simple cars are so much better in a lot of respects.

I used the posted video to find a current draw with my VY, so it's a little newer than the OP's car ;)

I pulled one fuse at a time, using the method in the video, to find the cause...

Perhaps have a quick look at the video and you'll see the way he recommends is one fuse at a time....(starts about the 7:54minute mark)

Oh and BTW, the cause of my current draw with the VY was the factory stereo....Solved by replacing it with an aftermarket unit

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Perhaps have a quick look at the video and you'll see the way he recommends is one fuse at a time....(starts about the 7 minute mark)
I’ve seen that video and other and have probably posted that one and others on the forum at various times…

Really there are many ways to skin that current drain cat :p the thing they all have in common is being methodical as there are no magic shortcuts:(

Reactions: Lex

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I’ve seen that video and other and have probably posted that one and others on the forum at various times…

Really there are many ways to skin that current drain cat :p the thing they all have in common is being methodical as there are no magic shortcuts:(

Which is why I said at the beginning when I posted the video, other people will come along with another 60 different ways, so will leave it upto you which one you use...

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
,disconnected the alternator.

When you say you disconnected the alternator did you remove the heavy charge wire as well or did you just remove the 2pin plug?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
When you say you disconnected the alternator did you remove the heavy charge wire as well or did you just remove the 2pin plug?
And while he’s at it check the diode rectifier as one diode can fail and cause current drain.

The following describes how to check an alternator in detail but a simple test using an multimeter is around the 12min mark.

Why, because not all parasitic current draw is via fused circuits… faulty alternator rectifiers can be guilty of draining batteries.

PS: with engine off, you can also remove the positive cable from the alternator and carefully connect a globe between the live lead and alternator battery post, being carful not too short anything to ground. If the globe lights up your alternator rectifier is stuffed (one of the diodes connected to the battery post is shorted)…

Last edited:

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Aftermarket stereo? Some of the aftermarket stereos used with wiring adaptors can still draw a trickle sometimes...

hiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
statesman vs series 3
I disconnected the main battery lead to the alternator as well as the 2 pin plug but I will try the test lamp method. So far no joy but I haven’t any spare time at the moment to explore all options Thanks everyone.