Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2011 VE SSV Pierced Oil Sump/Pan

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A fella I know in S.A loves putting LS's into anything he can for burnout cars. He's been doing it for years

Latest ones were a Gemini and an early model KE 10 or 11 Corolla...

Doesn't have issues with them going kerbang, even with them bouncing off the limiter for 3 minutes at a time

Just gets them 2nd hand, puts them in a car and goes out to skid the car

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
looking at the oil on the side of the sump internals looks by the color the oil has been hot and prob running out of oil too, was prob burning oil and never checked level and it got too low/hot and created the now issue

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Nah, people on here swore black and blue it was a warranty claim, even with a piece of block missing and unable to be found....
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/seized-engine-vf-ss-ii.297163/post-3332120

In that case the end result was that a settlement was reached for $10,500. Why, because the dealer was worried they’d loose at the tribunal and be stuck with a much larger $17k+ bill while @henrytad felt that the offer was an acceptable balance between the risk/reward he also felt.

That’s how legal systems work but the underlying issue in this case was that there was a valid ACL statutory warranty claim which is fundamentally why the dealer decided to make a reasonable settlement offer.

so fundamentally = warranty because a piece of block was missing + a little bit of tribunal head banging…

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/seized-engine-vf-ss-ii.297163/post-3332120

In that case the end result was that a settlement was reached for $10,500. Why, because the dealer was worried they’d loose at the tribunal and be stuck with a much larger $17k+ bill while @henrytad felt that the offer was an acceptable balance between the risk/reward he also felt.

That’s how legal systems work but the underlying issue in this case was that there was a valid ACL statutory warranty claim which is fundamentally why the dealer decided to make a reasonable settlement offer.

so fundamentally = warranty because a piece of block was missing + a little bit of tribunal head banging…

I re-read part of the thread and still think the result was different in real life to what was posted.

So using that thread as an example, the OP can get a new motor because it might have let go because it was started in the driveway....

Have a quick look at my post no #54

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I re-read part of the thread and still think the result was different in real life to what was posted.
The OP in that linked thread was offered a settlement on the court steps and the tribunal accepted that settlement so case closed. The real life result for that OP was that he achieved a $10,500 payment even though not all the bits of the side of the block were found :cool:

And any uncertainties about the technical causes don’t matter now :(
So using that thread as an example, the OP can get a new motor because it might have let go because it was started in the driveway....
Where and how the damage occurred in the linked thread was never really explicitly clarified so that part of the sage is all speculation and somewhat unproductive to discuss at the end of the day, because case closed.

The fact is that a settlement was reached likely because the evidence of the case would have meant that ACL statutory warranty would have applied and the consequence could have been a larger judgement so the seller/dealer/manufacturer cut their losses as is often the case; try to screw purchaser then make an offer if he calls your legal bluff… sadly it’s business as usual :oops:

But all this isn’t relevant to this thread because … read below :p

Have a quick look at my post no #54
You mean this post #54 where you reply to @chrisp’s post #32 and say

Memory serves me right, got a roasting for suggesting it couldn't have happened by just starting the car as others were certain it was a warranty issue.​

The two issues are separate; whether the hole can be punched at idle and whether it was a warranty claim. And because the claim was settled, the how/why/when becomes moot (though I’d love to have seen the technical report that the dealer didn’t want to release)…

As is, I’ve known of an old iron lion bending a couple of connecting rods because of a head gasket leak. Now imaging that issue with an inherent manufacturing fault somewhere in the piston, pin, rod, etc… then start the engine and give it a small rev may, it could = boom… again speculation which ain’t helpful…

So if in post #54 you mean an engine can punch a hole in the side of the block at start, I’d agree. Note I use the term start rather than idle cause many older “normal“ non car people often give the throttle a bit of a blip on startup yet they‘d say it was idling :p

If you don’t agree, we get into discussing speculation without data which is pointless… Guess that’s why I like photos as they can provide lots of data, especially when looking at the markings in the snapped/torn metal which can be telling :cool:

So the doubt from many in that linked thread (and you iirc) revolved around why all the bits weren’t found but we’ll never know the technical answer as to why/how because the dealer didn’t want that info to get out… Regardless, that case ended up as settled which is not in dispute at all (unless you just don’t want to believe what people post). Sadly sometimes we don’t get all things tied up nicely :(

In any case, with this thread, the OP knowingly bought a damaged car with a knock, privately, so ACL warranty is a non starter from the get go. And as he got it cheaply enough, it’s a non issue for him :cool:

As to the seller of the broken car in this thread, I doubt he would really be telling the truth about the cars condition (maybe he said it was only driven to church on Sunday by a Peter Brock wannabe). But that doesn’t matter for the OP in this thread as it’s all a non issue :cool:

After saying all that, guess what I wanted to say about your post #60 was purely around the fact it read as you saw a hole in the side of an engine without all the bits being found as never being a warranty claim … and the tribunal case bears different results to your view ;)

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Note I use the term start rather than idle cause many older “normal“ non car people often give the throttle a bit of a blip on startup yet they‘d say it was idling :p

My old man still does this. Holds his foot on the throttle and the car revs when it starts, I don’t think he realises that you don’t have to do that anymore with fuel injected cars. He hasn’t had a carbureted car in decades but he still does it.