Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Light

caalbah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 Commodore
Hey guys,
I’ve got a 2008 sv6 ve commodore ute and i’ve got a solid orange engine light on my dash, I’ve run it through the scanner at my mechanics and i was told the sensor has detected a slight stretch in the timing belt, I’m wondering if there is anyway to remove the check engine light while i get a pink slip done on the ute and then can fix it after. or is there a way to adjust the sensor so it’s not picking up the stretch and giving the check engine alert. Thanks

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Holden did do a software update on the early VEs to extended the amount that the timing chain could stretch before it logged a code.

If your vehicle is an early model and hasn’t had that software update then it might be possible to get it done and then the CEL would temporarily go away.

Needless to say in the longer term your going to have to do the chains otherwise the stretched chains will eventually lunch the engine.

caalbah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 Commodore
Holden did do a software update on the early VEs to extended the amount that the timing chain could stretch before it logged a code.

If your vehicle is an early model and hasn’t had that software update then it might be possible to get it done and then the CEL would temporarily go away.

Needless to say in the longer term your going to have to do the chains otherwise the stretched chains will eventually lunch the engine.
thanks mate how exactly do you get the software update ?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You'll need to visit an ex Holden dealer that can check and program your system.
Better off just getting the timing chains replaced.
bingo

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
You'll need to visit an ex Holden dealer that can check and program your system.
Better off just getting the timing chains replaced.
do like others soft wear update and sell car. Holden should be shot for the alloytec

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
do like others soft wear update and sell car. Holden should be shot for the alloytec
Too bad it’s a great engine. Anyone who bags it out about the timing chains clearly hasn’t been involved with the engines of other manufacturers.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Too bad it’s a great engine. Anyone who bags it out about the timing chains clearly hasn’t been involved with the engines of other manufacturers.

Exactly. The problem is that one bad headline taints its image forever. The very early VEs did have dodgy timing chains but it was quickly rectified and most of them should have been replaced under warranty.

I got about 330,000kms out of my old SV6 before the transmission put it off the road, the engine was still going strong. The only non serviceable items I ever replaced on it were the starter motor, the coil packs, the water pump and the filler neck o rings.

Would much rather have an Alloytec than anything from the European marques, especially the complete fuking abortion that is Audi.

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mercedes, BMW, Maserati, VW.
They can deadset do your head in when performing even simple maintenance let alone major work.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Mercedes, BMW, Maserati, VW.
everything eurpoean rapes the owners wallet. Weather its the money they lose on buying a new car every 3 years or the money they waste keeping older cars on the road in the case of the plastic everything something will always break.