Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Banging in the front

caalbah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 Commodore
Hey guys, I’ve got a 2008 commodore sv6 ute

i’ve got a loud banging in the front left and right of the car. i’ve reach down and gave the sway bar a shake and it doesn’t seem to be any movement around the sway bar bushes, i know there’s many things the noise could be caused by but if it’s not the sway bar bushes being worn, what else could it be? thanks

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Sway bar links are a common cause for front end noise. It's usually the ball joints on the links that are the problem. Easiest way to check is to unbolt one end , either from the sway bar or strut to check the ball joints.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Check the strut tops too. If they are flogged out they will thud when the car goes over bumps.

caalbah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 Commodore
Sway bar links are a common cause for front end noise. It's usually the ball joints on the links that are the problem. Easiest way to check is to unbolt one end , either from the sway bar or strut to check the ball joints.
thanks mate would it be best to just replace the sway bar links if this was the case ?

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Yep they are pretty cheap , but best to check them before replacing them.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What do the plates on the strut tops look like? Pop the bonnet and see how big the gap is. Post a photo if you're not sure. Gap should be about 4mm. When the strut tops wear out they become squashed and those round plates sit up higher, about 10mm or more if they're really bad.

Reactions: Lex

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Are you lowered?
Nearly every lowered holden ve i have been in I swear makes some type of noise in the shock area. I put it down to the factory setup / sway bar links not quite sitting right when you lower it. Mine does it. And Ive tried every new part you can fit in the shock. However, once I chuck in my coil-overs the noise is completely gone. One thing I notice on my coil-overs, the sway bar link attaches to a different area/height compaired to the factory shock which I think, changes the tension / movement enough to eliminate the knock

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mine has a tinny knock that sounds like a link. Same as above I have replaced the lot. Mine is lowered too. Funny thing is my knock only happens over certain bumps. I can hit a rough patch of road and nothing, yet the one hollow in the road does it every time at the same spot.

Paul Water

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
I had a knock in the front left which was the sway bar link. It only had a little movement but made a distinct knock on rough roads. Changed it and no more noises.