Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

15" wheels on VF

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
however you will need aftermarket sway bar links as the genuine ones have a different angle and wont line up (this isn't mentioned in their product description).
If you're using 15" wheels for drag racing traction, leave the sway bar disconnected. Sway bars increase spring rate on one rear wheel and unloads the opposite tyre from the road surface. Traction wise, rear sway bars make the car behave like an open diff vs a locked diff as a simple explanation.

thomomatt00

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf ss s2
alright so after a week of back and forward. they fit. Kind of. had to remove a lot more backing plate and two extra notches up where caliper mounts too. Once the rotor and caliper were on together and bolted into place the rotor was hard up against the caliper body. BMR checked part numbers and all measurements i sent and advised the rotor was correct. I spoke with wilwood and sent photos who advised they don't produce or engineer the kit and bmr/carlyle buy the parts from them. They did say the rotor is way to close and should have a minimum of 0.080" clearance which it also states in the fitting instructions. however after the back and forward and the cost involved in getting the parts my patience ran out after no reply for a couple of days. you need to die grind out the hole the caliper bolt goes through (in the upright/knuckle) a couple of mm. (not much at all) then pull the caliper back as far as you can while tightening the bolts to clear the rotor.. I have it currently together with the weld wheel on one side but need to put it back on a hoist when i have a free one and ensure all clearance is good. Don't get me wrong i love the product. But has been far from a straight forward process.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Sounds like a lot of stuffing around :oops:

But I thought it was illegal to drill uprights to “make it fit“ and to do such legally you’d need engineer to sign it off and provide certification…

From an engineering perspective, slotting the hole is even worse than making it fit a bigger bolt :oops: If there is slack in the bolt hole, couldn’t the calliper move when the brakes are applied really hard, either in revers or forward. Is the calliper bolt clamping force even up to holding the callipers in place when the hole it fits through is slotted?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Sounds like a lot of stuffing around :oops:

But I thought it was illegal to drill uprights to “make it fit“ and to do such legally you’d need engineer to sign it off and provide certification…

From an engineering perspective, slotting the hole is even worse than making it fit a bigger bolt :oops: If there is slack in the bolt hole, couldn’t the calliper move when the brakes are applied really hard, either in revers or forward. Is the calliper bolt clamping force even up to holding the callipers in place when the hole it fits through is slotted?
Unless you were chasing a motorsport championship worth more than a plastic trophy and an hour of fame, the most I'd consider is fitting V6 brakes on the rear to fit smaller wheels. There's enough drag tyres available in 16/17/18" not to bother with a modification as radical as this for minimal realistic gain. An 18" drag tyre will make a massive difference over a circuit R Spec and incomparable to any street tyre.

Back in the day with my old VR GTS, the best 1/4-mile time we did with an R Spec was a 12.96 and street tyres were 13.2ish. A Hoosier Quick Time drag tyre took us down to an 11.33, massive difference a dedicated drag racing tyre makes!

Last edited:

thomomatt00

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf ss s2
Yeah look the verdict is the bmr kit is definately bot worth the headache it comes with. Spoke to a few people who went the same route and all confirm by no means a bolt on brake kit

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yeah look the verdict is the bmr kit is definately bot worth the headache it comes with. Spoke to a few people who went the same route and all confirm by no means a bolt on brake kit
You'd need some strong conclusive evidence that a 15" wheel will significantly improve the vehicle performance over a wheel size that'll fit for the effort of fitment and cost of this kit.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Agree, I run 275 40/17 Mickey T's streets on my supercharged VX SS and they hook well from the dig on prep, and they hook hard on a roll, a 17" rim should easily fit
You'd need some strong conclusive evidence that a 15" wheel will significantly improve the vehicle performance over a wheel size that'll fit for the effort of fitment and cost of this kit.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Agree, I run 275 40/17 Mickey T's streets on my supercharged VX SS and they hook well from the dig on prep, and they hook hard on a roll, a 17" rim should easily fit
With the good size range of drag racing tyres available today, I'd at least try a set that'll fit the car first and see how they go.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

But you do have fancy electronics to help it keep traction.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Bot on the
But you do have fancy electronics to help it keep traction.
Not with the 275 drag radials, the RaceTCS never activated on a prepped track so wheel slip was minimal and never met the cut parameters

With the drag radials on a roll on the street from around 40 kph it was similar

The 0-100 time was with my 255/40 17 Hankook RS4's street tyres, the RaceTCS was installed for the street

Last edited: