Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vp V8 Air Intake Noise

M

mickey

I have a 92 VP 5litre that I bought in 2000 (it was a GM exec car in Adelaide until 2000!). Great car, goes hard has all gadets like IRS E/Windows and 180KW engine. The problem is the bastard roars like nothing else under acceleration (not necessarily hard) So off to the wreckers I went and shoe horned in a VS HSV intake and air box, great for performance but hisses (is ok though) I want to piss off the fan but everyone tells be that I will cook it in Ballarat over summer. I also heard that removing the fan increases power. (I am a short bloke so I like fast cars) I even had the exaust redone to try to reduce back pressure and get rid of the poxy twin that came out on the 180KW's.

Any suggestions, or anything else that would get me a little more power would be great.

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
hi mickey,i have a 93 vp 5 litre, you are correct removing the fan will increase horsepower but if you are in heavy stop start traffic or driving in traffic at under 40 kmh you will cook it,if you want to increase the power a bit with taking out the fan replace it with an electric one,sprint autos etc sell them,you will realise more power as the motor revs because you havent got the old fan working against you cutting through the air,but definately dont take it off and not replace it with somthing
cheers fergi

M

mickey

Oh ****, yeah i'd put a fan on of some variety, But no-one in ballarat knew what to recommend ("No fan you will buy will keep that car cool") Although VT GenIII's have thermo fans! My cousin had an SV5000, same fan, different intake and it didn't generate half of the fan noise (and went like an STI Subaru ewww). Any suggestions as to what sort of Thermo fan?

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
I WAS THINKING OF PUTTING an electric fan in myself.but havent got around to getting a price,why dont you ring sprint auto,s here in adelaide.the other option i was thinking of was one of the speed shops,theres one on OG road marden that is always really helpful,if i get a chance ill enquire myself next week.also just check your fan is it a thermo fan on yours that is does it freewheel when you get the revs up on the motor then it shouldnt be in constant fixed drive,if they fail the fan is constantly on and they really are noisy and drag a lot of power from the motor,especially when the revs are up,when the motor is cold just try turning the fan by hand it should freewheel with just a bit of resistance
let me know how you go
cheers fergi

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
ive just realised you are in ballarat probably dont have sprint autos over there ,ill make some enquiries for you ,,and me,,, next week ,ill keep you posted
cheers fergi

O

oldn64

Grab a craig davis these are unfaultable. I believe super cheap and autobahn sell these. If you wish secondhand then look at the ford or mazda equivalent 626's (96 on models) these move alot of air...

Cheers

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
why not just bolt on an electric V6 one from a VP??

They are thermo operated thow, so you will need a loom to the ECU.

M

mickey

I'm heading off to Adelaide late DEc early Jan so I may have alook over there. Yeah my fan is of the "clutch" variety and seems to operate OK (Hard to turn with the HSV intake!) My VL had the same setup and didn't generate nearly half of the noise.

I think I just like the idea of having a bit more free power too!

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
mickey when you first go out to your car in the morning before you start it you should be able to turn the fan very easy,shouldnt have to push it hard,infact one finger should move it easily if it doesnt then i wouls say the clutch on it has had it,as i said i had a car where the fan clutch packed up and it was horrible to drive until i fixed it
cheers fergi