Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Tacho Dash. different loom to standard?

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
I put my original speedo into the tacho dash so I could keep my originals K's and also because it was a 5 speed cluster and didn't have the speed sensor on the back of the speedo and it wouldn't kick down without it.

Berlina wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT berlina wagon
Actually there are two different patch harnessed for the instrument cluster, depending on if you have clock or tacho dash.
The easiest way to do the change over is have the correct patch harness which plugs into the main harness (two plugs to the right of the car). I to have done this conversion many times using both methods and using the correct harness means everything works properly and you just need to change the oil sender unit for the guage type and the plug is in the main harness taped up.
If you dont have the right harness you can fartarse around and have the clock harness adapted to to the job.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I put my original speedo into the tacho dash so I could keep my originals K's and also because it was a 5 speed cluster and didn't have the speed sensor on the back of the speedo and it wouldn't kick down without it.

I found this problem after i changed my dash out, i believe that the speedo was faulty because it was reading the wrong speed + not clocking over km's. So i pulled it all out again and put my original speedo in there, now shows correct speed, clicks over the km's and what not.

Oh, and i also forgot to turn my lights off after testing the lighting harness was pushed in correctly, so at 11 when i went out to my car to start it up, wouldnt go...and because of where i park the car, right up against a fence we had to tow the bloody thing out with my girlfriends dads van...major hassles

Berlina wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT berlina wagon
There is no difference between the manual and Auto clusters, same partnumber. There were 5 different clusters from factory.
1. clock dash 6 cyl
2. Tacho dash 6 cyl
3. Tacho dash 8 cyl
4. Calais dash 6 cyl
5. Calsis dash 8 cyl.

Difference between V8 and 6 cyl dash is calibration of tacho and speedo, all other gauges in dash the same.

Moosey90

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl commodore sl v8
There is no difference between the manual and Auto clusters, same partnumber. There were 5 different clusters from factory.
1. clock dash 6 cyl
2. Tacho dash 6 cyl
3. Tacho dash 8 cyl
4. Calais dash 6 cyl
5. Calsis dash 8 cyl.

Difference between V8 and 6 cyl dash is calibration of tacho and speedo, all other gauges in dash the same.
Hey mate, I got a v8 with clock dash, does that mean its not original?