Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS2] Ls2 cooler thermostat where to buy?

Potta9

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve r8 , B2600
Hey guys and girls . Since building my motor I've noticed my oil temps have come up by nearly 10deg but coolant is running exactly the same as previous.

Now I'd like to run an oil cooler but would like to try a colder thermostat first . Can anyone tell me what they've put in theirs or recommend where to get one from .

Thanks Luke

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Got one for my mates track car. Tridon make a cooler high flow thermostat. I think it was a TT456-187 might of been a cooler (160 maybe) one than that. Got him the coolest available. Get them to check if there is one cooler. His runs at about 85-90 max after hard driving. It's a drift car so it's driven pretty hard.

Burson can get them, that's where mine came from.

Potta9

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve r8 , B2600
Thanks guys I'll be fitting an oil cooler shortly but have found the thermostat is closing to early to cool the oil temps down when running.

PSI_KING

Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS E
What is your current oil operating temperature?

Different viscosity oil's will affect operating temperature. A different temperature rated thermostat is not going to reduce your oil operating temperature.

Increasing oil capacity is the most effective method of reducing your oil temperature. The biggest factor of increased oil temperature is friction, by reducing friction you will reduce oil temperature.

You can alter the primary and secondary fan request in the E38 ECM to activate at a lower temperature input, although this will have a negligible (if any) affect on engine oil temperature.

Potta9

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve r8 , B2600
Thanks but I already knew all that I'm only looking for a cooler thermostat at the moment as the thermostat seems to be shut alot and is having little to no affect on the oil temp. The oil temps have increased on average by 10-15deg when running. I'm trying to get everything working together and back close to or below stock so when I bolt my turbo on it's not going to have any issues with temp. Just going through all the variables at the moment.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
Thanks but I already knew all that I'm only looking for a cooler thermostat at the moment as the thermostat seems to be shut alot and is having little to no affect on the oil temp. The oil temps have increased on average by 10-15deg when running. I'm trying to get everything working together and back close to or below stock so when I bolt my turbo on it's not going to have any issues with temp. Just going through all the variables at the moment.

what makes you think your thermostat is "shut alot". Are you talking about after your car has been running a while and is fully warmed up that you think (or know?) that the thermostat is closing again?

Potta9

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve r8 , B2600
what makes you think your thermostat is "shut alot". Are you talking about after your car has been running a while and is fully warmed up that you think (or know?) that the thermostat is closing again?

By going of the specs for when the thermostat opens and closes. the temp is going down to the thermostat closing temp and that's when the oil temp begins to rise again above previous levels . Thats what im seeing from specs to the guages. It's obviously running a bit hotter with the new cam and associated parts. Im just trying to get the oil temp lower as the cooling system can't keep it down where everyone elses seems to be with similar mods. Oil cooler is next on the list but trying to keep it as far away from the intercooler as possible also to try and stop heatsoak as much.
Sorry I don't have all the exact specs with me but will post them up when I get home tonight.

PSI_KING

Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS E
You mention that you have a new camshaft fitted.

Is it a larger grind than factory OEM? The reason I ask this is because if the tune tables are not properly configured, a learn running condition will cause an engine to run at a higher temperature than an engine running at stoich or marginally richer. Excessive engine timing is also a contributing factor dependant on the spark correction table.

Although you mention that the coolant temperature has remained the same which can discount this possibility, I must ask, what viscosity oil are you using compared to previously and also, what is the actual oil operating temperature? Another question that is needed to be asked is, what oil pressure reading do you get at idle, 3000rpm and 4500rpm?

Regards,

PSI_KING

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
By going of the specs for when the thermostat opens and closes. the temp is going down to the thermostat closing temp and that's when the oil temp begins to rise again above previous levels . Thats what im seeing from specs to the guages. It's obviously running a bit hotter with the new cam and associated parts. Im just trying to get the oil temp lower as the cooling system can't keep it down where everyone elses seems to be with similar mods. Oil cooler is next on the list but trying to keep it as far away from the intercooler as possible also to try and stop heatsoak as much.
Sorry I don't have all the exact specs with me but will post them up when I get home tonight.

maybe reading this wrong but it does not make sense that as the water temp drops the oil temp is going up. Be aware that the readings you are looking at may not be true - and what you are looking at may not be the same sensor information as what the ecu is using.