Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 Compression Test. What Fuses do we pull?

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
2010 Pulled all 8 plugs out already.
I have found the fuel pump relay fuse in passenger well. But if there is still current fuel pressure in the system, and I try crank it, would the injectors still spray whats pressurized? Or does the fuel pump disable injectors too.

Are there any injector fuses needed to be pulled?

EDIT: In case anyone wants to know in the future. Pulled fuses F29 and F35 (IGN ODD & EVEN) in the engine bay, and the fuel pump relay fuse in passenger foot well.

Last edited:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Pull the fuse, start the car, which will die not long after. Then you can do the comp test

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Pull the fuse, start the car, which will die not long after. Then you can do the comp test

I thought it was not a good thing getting fuel in during a compression test? Or will it be so minimal it wont matter?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
You can pull plugs, then wait 10mins before doing the test. Will be dry enough.

If you get inconsistent results, give it an hour and try again. If you get th4 same results then add a few drops of oil in each and test again

Last edited:

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
You can pull plugs, then wait 10mins before doing the test. Will be dry enough.

If you get inconsistent results, give it an hour and try again. If you get th4 same results then add a few drops of oil in each and test again

Ahh you mean put all the plugs back in, start it up without the fuel pump to run it dry? Is there no fuse i can pull that will just stop injectors altogether? I would like to just pull the right fuse then try insert all the plugs back in, to pull out again lol

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
You need to de-pressurise the fuel rails, running the car with the pump fuse out, will do this. It's the pump that's feeding the rails, this definitely needs to be stopped.

Honestly I'm uncertain if there is just an injector fuse on the VE. Other members can chime in here or check the fuse panel yourself.

Not recommended: If you have the plugs out remove the pump fuse or relay, crank it, it'll piss out fuel from the plug holes and make a mess, but that will get you going.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
just pull the fuse that does injectors and coils then dosnt matter about fuel in rail, fuses in engine bay

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Can't remember what fuse I pulled but it did throw a code and flashing lights on the dash. I reckon it was the engine fuse I pulled or maybe injector fuse. The lights stayed on for about two or three starts then went after a bit of a drive. So expect it to have a hissy.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
just pull the fuse that does injectors and coils then dosnt matter about fuel in rail, fuses in engine bay

Fuel Pump Relay Fuse only right?

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Can't remember what fuse I pulled but it did throw a code and flashing lights on the dash. I reckon it was the engine fuse I pulled or maybe injector fuse. The lights stayed on for about two or three starts then went after a bit of a drive. So expect it to have a hissy.

Yup im expecting a check light to pop on, which I will clear with my tool after