Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2016 VFII SV6 Phantom Black Black Edition Ute

mrd0683

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 Ute (Black edition)
Cheers for the comments everyone.

@arronm:

I considered the black badges but i think the silver provides some contrast.

@JR4689, MYVESSV8 & villn808:

I got my external lighting combination right through much trial and error via many purchases via Ebay and local suppliers.

Brake lights: JAYCAR CANBUS 595 Lumens $19.95 each (I've had nicer, red LED bulbs, but not CANBUS compatible, which brought up "Check brake light" error warning).
Reverse lights: JAYCAR CANBUS 595 Lumens $19.95 each
Parking lights: Ebay Amber 2835 chip T10 $8.00 for two. Ebay <--- I've tried a few, found these to be best so far.
Lowbeam LED: LLA XHP50 Titanium H7 kit $187.00 + CANBUS decoders
Highbeam LED: Autobarn COB EPISTAR H9 kit $139.99 (impulse buy when seen at the behind the counter, these seem ok but this type of LED is usually used in foglights)
CANBUS decoders: Pro-vision standard decoders HID Decoders - Warning Light Error Canceller- Canbus De-Coders. $29.95 for two. (You can buy these on Ebay but this supplier is in Sydney with faster shipping).

Without the CANBUS decoders on the low beams, two things happen:
1) The lights turn on for about 15 seconds or so, then flicker and turn off.
2) This CANBUS error appears "Check left dipped beam" "Check right dipped beam"

Negatives of using LED lowbeam/highbeams:
- Legalities
- Potentially disturbing oncoming drivers (I haven't been flashed with this setup, probably because it looks OEM).
- Headlight dust covers have to be removed to provide ventilation for the inbuilt fans and wiring for the ballasts. (You can buy LED bulb specific dust covers from Ebay that solves this issue. Shipping is approx 3 weeks !)
- Have to install a bulb, ballast and decoders behind the headlight housing, rather than just halogen bulb (No big deal, just have to remove front wheel well for access using T10 Torx screwdriver, secure additional cabling and ballast via zipties).

Positives of using LED lowbeam/highbeams:
- Superior vision in foreground and background.
- LED lighting reflects off every surface ! i.e HI-VIS decals of Highway patrol cars, line markers, street signs and road signs on the highway etc.
- Aesthetically pleasing.

I've tried many different LED chips including the Phillips LUXEON ZES chip's for $249.00 but i prefer the XHP50s.
Take a punt, don't be fooled by low prices with big claims, or steep priced kits on the other end of the spectrum.
Be prepared to buy CANBUS decoders even though most kits claim to be CANBUS compatible, i found this out the hard way a few times.

mrd0683

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 Ute (Black edition)
Pretty sure orange park lights may be illegal. Might get confused with indicators

You're probably right, but I haven't had any issues.

The viewable area of the VF parking lights is pretty small.
These bulbs used to light up the whole highbeam reflector housing of my VE headlights.

ITOONS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V8
Ute looks fantastic mate, really nice.

Quick question.. Do these wheels fit over big Brembo brakes?

whitevf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS redline II
do you have the link for the Lowbeam LED: LLA XHP50 Titanium H7 kit that you got? cheers.

thomasm

Reaction score
How much did the SS rear mufflers set you back?