Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF parts shortage...

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Yeah, there has been a popular belief from many people who won't call Holden Spares even for a price because they believe eBay has the best prices on Gen parts. This could not be further from the truth.
DEF yes to that...
I check eBay and then ring my local Holden parts dept.. consistently cheaper

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Yeah, there has been a popular belief from many people who won't call Holden Spares even for a price because they believe eBay has the best prices on Gen parts. This could not be further from the truth.

It’s gone arse about because everyone who isn’t a former dealer is gouging for profits because Holden parts are now being treated or perceived to be limited edition Louis Vuitton handbags.

On the opposite side of the coin dealers can’t do this because they still have a reputation to uphold as a business and would probably face negative publicly if they did the same.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
I’ve had Peter Page Parts in Adelaide consistently tell me when I’m looking for a part have you checked their eBay store, as it will be cheaper.

Even so far as to get the part then list it on the eBay store for me to then buy.

Some strange arrangement between eBay, Holden/GM allegedly.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I’ve had Peter Page Parts in Adelaide consistently tell me when I’m looking for a part have you checked their eBay store, as it will be cheaper.

Even so far as to get the part then list it on the eBay store for me to then buy.

Some strange arrangement between eBay, Holden/GM allegedly.

I recall many years ago that one of the local Holden dealer’s spare parts department had a sign hanging behind the counter. I can’t recall the exact wording, but it essentially said our in-store prices are higher than eBay prices and we can’t price match (so don’t ask).

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

I bought up a heap of parts early on and at that time I did my due diligence by checking the prices at my local dealership against those on eBay, and I found in most cases (not all), that the genuine parts were cheaper from the dealer than the eBay resellers.

I would go into the dealership with my VIN and a list of parts I was interested in, and they would print out an individual quote sheet on their invoice letterhead with the prices of each and the GM part numbers and descriptions for my specific vehicle, I would then take that home and sit in front of the computer and see if I could find better prices.

Then I'd go back to the dealer and buy or order in the parts I wanted, it was all so easy.

I've not bought any parts for a while, so maybe it has changed with the new forced economy bought on by making us feel like the parts are now as hard to find as gold, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised that the dealers and resellers are using it to their advantage.

Still, I wouldn't purchase from eBay without first checking the prices at the dealerships as the reseller prices are often sold with a ridiculous mark up.

Plus, there are a few dealerships on-line and from what I can see, some of their prices seem fair enough.

Having restored a few old cars, I can say one thing with certainty, with time the prices of parts are going to go up and up.

Buying mechanical and cosmetic parts while they are readily available from wreckers is also a good idea, I've done a bit of that as well.

Thanks to a post from one of the members, I was able to get a second-hand spare 27mm master cylinder for my Ute from a wrecker while they were easy to get, I know a 25mm will work fine, but for me if necessary, it's important to replace what you got with the same.

Of course, all this is meaningless if you don't intend to keep your vehicle.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My advice if getting a price from Holden on parts, is get the price, wait three or four seconds, and then ask for their best price. Or say something like, hmmm can you sharpen up that pencil a bit? They have fairly high margins so will often shave a bit off.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
And there she goes!

Interestingly, they've still left the shop listing for the bumper rather than it being pulled, never seen them do that before.

Lets see how long until some magically re-appear

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 10.17.44 PM.png

Bluesky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60TH ANNIVERSARY
From those I've spoken to in the panel trade the VE aftermarket ones are a poor fit and you need to go gen. Panel shops have been caught out when the AM ones don't line up. Because of this I went gen when I bought mine for the VE.

It will be interesting to see if there are no gen ones left in stock for the S1 VE SS. I should have an answer on Monday. If they are and stocks are low, that will suck as I'm not really in a position right now to drop $450 on something I need to tuck away somewhere in my shed, just in case.
I bought an used VE SV6 front bar off marketplace for $100, alota scratches on it but least its the same colour as my car lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I sold my old one for something like that maybe a bit more.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
A little share for this evening.

As someone who likes to hunt for various spares and dive into the world of OEM part suppliers, just found an interesting bit of info regarding what is fast becoming the hard to come by parts, OEM VF seat trims (Especially drivers base trims, which frequently wear out)

Many may know that the OEM manufacturer of the VF trims was Futuris automotive.

Holmart recently had SS/SV6 drivers bases come up for sale recently, which are a piece that very rarely came up for sale and also seemed to be discontinued (I remember calling back in 2021 as my car came with a torn trim) . Just purchased one to take advantage of an eBay sale and have as a spare for my dad's car. The add listed the piece as GM Holden OEM, and also a part number (92286924)

Took delivery today, and this base is not made by Futuris.

Instead, it's made by Adient & Summit Corporation Limited, a Thailand base OEM seat manufacturer (Futuris trims are also made in Thailand). Also had a manufacturing date label date of 17/10/2023, implying there was a recent production run.

Quality looks identical to the OEM trims, and colour/fabric matching appears spot on. Hopefully means there is at least some intent of keeping parts alive for the future.

tempImageK8UpgR.png
tempImageBEUAhY.png
tempImagepCv8Nc.png

Comparing to the spare Futuris Driver upright trim

tempImageGdokar.png
tempImagewqnPG8.png