Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS 304 torque specs

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Cheers Deuce you have saved my ass once again, was confused as I purchased a complete heaterhose set but a few didn't match up, figured the last owner purchased by the meter and did his own thing, cheers for the help hopefully start the bus tomorrow, see if I fecked up anything in the process cheers again
Good luck mate

Dolts

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss bt1 , vt bt1, vs statesman international #1
Good luck mate
The never ending story continues, hoping someone can help again,
Got the bus back together,

went to start it, and she is loud as, as if it had an exhaust leak or better yet sounds like there's no exhaust connected to drivers side manifold, has a new exhaust gasket, bolts are tight as far as i can tell without stripping them where the exhaust connects to the manifold, you can physically feel the air blowing in you face when leaning over drivers guard,

Any ideas fellas, this cars doing my head in, me and a mate stuck the camera down each spark plug to shut exhaust valves after throwing in the new lifters could that be my issue,

I'm going to separate the exhaust from manifold and try retighten the bolts but it's seem a little excessive for a simple exhaust leak.

Cheers again

Dolts

Reaction score
Members Ride
The never ending story continues, hoping someone can help again,
Got the bus back together,

went to start it, and she is loud as, as if it had an exhaust leak or better yet sounds like there's no exhaust connected to drivers side manifold, has a new exhaust gasket, bolts are tight as far as i can tell without stripping them where the exhaust connects to the manifold, you can physically feel the air blowing in you face when leaning over drivers guard,

Any ideas fellas, this cars doing my head in, me and a mate stuck the camera down each spark plug to shut exhaust valves after throwing in the new lifters could that be my issue,

I'm going to separate the exhaust from manifold and try retighten the bolts but it's seem a little excessive for a simple exhaust leak.

Cheers again
Here's a video of first start

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Definitely sounds like a exhaust leak. Might have to pull the exhaust manifold off, check it over for cracks/holes and run a straight edge (ruler) over the face and make sure it's flat(ish)

Dolts

Reaction score
Members Ride
Definitely sounds like a exhaust leak. Might have to pull the exhaust manifold off, check it over for cracks/holes and run a straight edge (ruler) over the face and make sure it's flat(ish)
Cheers immortality, I'll give that a go see how I go hopefully that's my issue,

any other ideas to look for if that's not it, could we have fecked up shutting the exhaust valves, I'm not sure what the symptoms of that would be cheers

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't think so, if exhaust valves are hanging open it wouldn't run properly at all.

Dolts

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't think so, if exhaust valves are hanging open it wouldn't run properly at all.
Good to know, cheers for the reply, will post once i have had a Suss of the manifold. Hopefully that fixes the issue.

Hey immortality I came across another thread you commented on regarding an exhaust leak, you mentioned Holden bolting exhaust manifold straight to head with a gasket from factory, is that a better option, as only one side is leaking but both sides have a new gasket I'm curious. Here's a screen shot of that post. The exhaust manifold did have some silicon on it when removed but only around the bolt holes. Cheers again

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240513_154752_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240513_154752_Samsung Internet.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gaskets generally should work.

The fact that one side is good and the other isn't suggests something else might be going on.

Dolts

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gaskets generally should work.

The fact that one side is good and the other isn't suggests something else might be going on.
Sorry I meant without gaskets from factory,
something else as in exhaust leak from cracked/**** manifold as mentioned earlier or something more sinister

(dont know where else to look if its not manifold any syggestions), the car did sit since 2021 before I purchased it,saying that I did drive it about ten minutes home, to find the overflow bottle had emptied into the oil typical inlet waterjackets were corroded, it did have an exhaust leak when I got it but not as server as the video I uploaded, also when heads were reconditioned a couple valves wernt seating properly.
I will get the flexi camera out in the morning to have a look around the manifold to see if it has any cracks before I pull it and check it with a straight edge Ect, iv noticed everywhere seems to have the stock left cast manifold in stock but not the drivers side, is this a common issue for the right to crack ect cheers and sorry for being a pain

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I can't say sorry as non of my V8's have had cast iron exhaust manifolds but my experience with the V6 engines shows that end exhaust manifold bolts break and cause leaks and the passenger side always ends up cracking.

The fact you can feel air coming somewhere from the exhaust system under the bonnet is a good indicator something has failed.