Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Well I look forward to seeing the 1000s & 1000s of ships running off battery power in the next 30 years I will be on the planet for. Plus look forward to the day they can make batteries to power planes.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Gas should be the last one they phase out as it's the cleanest of the fossil fuels.

It probably will be, and I suspect that’s the main purpose of the ‘natural gas’ commercials the industry is running here. They are possibly trying to sure up the industry the best they can, but they also know where it all ends.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I look forward to seeing the 1000s & 1000s of ships running off battery power in the next 30 years I will be on the planet for. Plus look forward to the day they can make batteries to power planes.

Who knows? It is ‘net zero’ so that still allows the option of still burning a fuel that produces CO2, but it will need to be offset elsewhere. So, the fuel will probably be more expensive than simply extracting it from the ground. Possibly hydrogen in the form of ammonia might be a possibility?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Who knows? It is ‘net zero’ so that still allows the option of still burning a fuel that produces CO2, but it will need to be offset elsewhere. So, the fuel will probably be more expensive than simply extracting it from the ground. Possibly hydrogen in the form of ammonia might be a possibility?
Are you that deluded? Some countries are cutting down more trees in a day than the world can plant in a year. So while the West might have some delusional grandiose in reality the world will likely never reach net zero. But you keep believing it mate, I like a good laugh.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

You need to be realistic and understand the concept of "net zero". It doesn't mean zero fossil fuel, it means they still use fossil fuel in a limited way but it's offset with other measures to negate the use of those fossil fuels.

They are already trialling wind power on some cargo ships.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
As someone who gets to see alot of analytics and numbers in the background, there is going to be a need for baseload and peaking power.
Heres the problem, the solar farms and similar and having to be built away from suburbia. (financial and space reasons)
The big loads are often city centres and industry.
The infrastructure can only handle finite amounts to transport said power from generation to consumer. (originally it was from the valley)
The big generation plants require AEMO approvals.

Gas can be burnt very clean. Boiler/combustion tuning is an art and under the right conditions can be tuned to run clean.
They already use Gas for quick start up in stabilising the grid.
an example of a big version of this is Newport.

Yes there are some areas which at times can be net positive (more generation than usage) But its not sustained.
So either there needs to be storage
Often the storage materials and generation items arent exactly "green" when you look at the whole life of the product.

Put simply, I was involved with some supplies for Data Centres in the past few years. And have had involvement with some Solar Farms.
More Power is needed by the Data centres for people to post up pictures of how green they are, than the power that will be generated by the Solar.
Its an interesting scenario.....

Wind Power on ships.
I feel like we could learn from History on that one :p

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You need to be realistic and understand the concept of "net zero". It doesn't mean zero fossil fuel, it means they still use fossil fuel in a limited way but it's offset with other measures to negate the use of those fossil fuels.

They are already trialling wind power on some cargo ships.
I understand what net zero is. It's not going to happen, not in my lifetime anyway. No way can they plant enough trees to reach net zero, when 1000s of acres are being ripped out every day.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's not just planting trees.

Last edited:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Are you that deluded? Some countries are cutting down more trees in a day than the world can plant in a year. So while the West might have some delusional grandiose in reality the world will likely never reach net zero. But you keep believing it mate, I like a good laugh.

With respect, you are the one who is behaving deluded. Do you really think that the ‘net zero’ and global warming will simply go away? Do you think it’s just a matter of wishing, or voting it, away? Only the fossil fuel industry and their News Corp (and Sky News) lackeys are the ones pandering that wishful thinking.